The Only Way to Fully Understand How Amazing These Expanding Sculptures Are Is to Watch This Video
Li Hongbo’s sculptures have been described as “freaky” and “bizarre.” When you see what they do and learn how exactly they’re made, you’ll probably agree with these designations but might also add “fascinating” to the list.
The White Rabbit Gallery’s description of the Beijing-based artist states that he has a special affinity toward paper.
“I love it and collect it,” he said, according to the gallery website.
He loves it so much, it’s his preferred medium. But would you believe that this (see the image below) …
… can morph into this (below) …
… and this (below)?
Here’s how he does it:
With the help of an assistant, Li Hongbo stuck more than 30,000 sheets together with carefully placed stripes of glue to form what look like two large blocks of balsa wood. Using an electric saw, he carved these stacks into identical human figures. One he leaves intact, except for a toppled head; the other is stretched out like a vast accordion, its torso and limbs looping around the gallery space like a gigantic Slinky toy. Many visitors find it hard to believe that it ever looked anything like its upright twin.
Watch this video showing off Hongbo’s flexible sculptures:
The White Rabbit Gallery stated that Hongbo hopes this will show people the “endless possibilities of paper.”
Did it? Let us know what you think about the artwork in the comments below.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools