CNN Anchor Asks With a Straight Face If Global Warming Is to Blame for Asteroid
“A 150-foot-wide asteroid will come remarkably close to Earth next week, even closer than high-flying communication and weather satellites,” The Associated Press reported earlier this week. “It will be the nearest known flyby for an object of this size.”
And for those of you who want to know more about this floating “megarock,” dubbed “2012 DA14,” CNN’s Deb Feyerick has got you covered. Indeed, she was there on Saturday to ask the tough questions: Did global warming cause this asteroid?
“Every time we see a storm like this lately, the first question to pop into a lot of people’s minds is whether or not global warming is to blame?” Feyerick said, referring to snowstorm Nemo.
“I’ll talk to Bill Nye, ‘the science guy,’ about devastating storms and climate change,” she added.
After going to a quick commercial break, the CNN anchor jumped right into discussing climate change and “2012 DA14″ with Nye: “Talk about something else that’s falling from the sky and that is an asteroid. What’s coming our way? Is this an effect of, perhaps, of global warming or is this just some meteoric occasion?”
Oddly enough, Nye — who has made it his mission to challenge what calls scientifically inaccurate claims — didn’t see fit to inform Feyerick that the asteroid has been around for a lot longer than carbon-emitting SUVs and jets.
Maybe he was at a loss for word.
Oh, and in case you were wondering, scientists say the rock “will be at least 17,100 miles away when it zips past next Friday,” the AP notes. So no need to worry.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T: Newsbuster). Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 585 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 316 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 269 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'