Nancy Pelosi: Violent Movies & Video Games Aren’t the Problem, Gun Laws Are
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) defended Hollywood and the video game industry on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace, arguing that gun violence is more likely to go down with strict laws than a shift in forms of entertainment.
Wallace began by saying that “we don’t need another study.” We know that games and movies “where people have their heads splattered” aren’t exactly healthy for young children.
“Why don’t you go to your friends in Hollywood and challenge them, shame them, and say, ‘Knock it off’?” he asked Pelosi.
The lawmaker responded: “Well, I do think whatever we do, because when you talk about evidence-based, we have that throughout our proposal. In other words, we don’t want to just anecdotally writing bills. We want to have the evidence to say –.”
At that point Wallace interrupted, noting again that she has “a lot of friends” in Hollywood and could wield significant influence if she chose.
“I do think — see, I understand what you’re saying,” Pelosi said. “I’m a mother, I’m a grandmother… But the evidence says that — in Japan, for example, they have the most violent games and the lowest death, mortality from guns. I don’t know what the explanation is for that except they may have good gun laws.”
Pelosi proceeded to explain how banning the sale of “assault weapons” will keep us safer, mistakenly saying how much Democrats “avow the First Amendment” and believe Americans have a right to arm themselves (presumably she meant to say Second Amendment).
Watch the Fox News clip, via the Weekly Standard, below:
In addition to the gun comments, Pelosi also said that “It is almost a false argument to say we have a spending problem. We have a budget deficit problem that we have to address.” But throughout the interview, Wallace pressed: “The bottom line, Congresswoman, is you can’t raise taxes enough to solve the deficit problem.”
Watch the entire interview below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,031 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 250 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Egyptian state TV says 6 policemen, border guard abducted in Sinai have been released
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings