Which Cable News Host Asked Guests If They Thought There Was ‘Anything Offensive’ in Ben Carson’s Speech?
World-renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Benjamin Carson grabbed headlines early this week when he gave a speech in front of President Barack Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast attacking political correctness and many of the domestic policies that have expanded the federal government over the last four years. The 25-minute faith-filled address tackled issues from education to personal responsibility, with video of the event quickly going viral leading to praise from conservative audiences and column in the Wall Street Journal titled ‘Ben Carson for President.’ Among most publications considered to be left-leaning though, the buzz-worthy speech went underreported or ignored. Left-of-center Fox News commentators Bob Beckel and Kirsten Powers called the speech “disgraceful,” and “incredibly rude to the president.”
On CNN’s State of the Union Sunday, host Candy Crowley went so far to ask guests if they found “anything offensive” from Carson’s speech considering the venue where he gave his remarks.
“I think that there is a political correctness that he was trying to use to appeal to a conservative audience,” Illinois Democratic Rep. Jan Schakowsky responded. “I think it’s really–not really an appropriate place to make this kind of political speech, and to invoke God as his support for that kind of view.
“But, I think most of all the kind of message that he was giving shows a real empathy gap of where the American people are right now, and I think it’s reflective of where many of the Republicans and Tea Parties are right now in that–we need to have an economy that works for everyone.”
Earlier in the segment former Republican Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson compared a Carson speech clip where he discussed taxation through a Biblical view, to a prayer breakfast in the 1990s she described as “uncomfortable” when Mother Theresa spoke out extensively against abortion in front of Bill and Hillary Clinton. However, Hutchinson said Carson’s point on political correctness was “a great message.” Watch a clip of the segment compiled by NewsBusters below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lenovo says quarterly profit up 90 percent
- Japan stocks dive after benchmark bond yield spike
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- 2011 jail breaks become political issue in Egypt
- Asia shares slide, Nikkei down 7.3 percent, as Japan bond yields rise, China factories weaken
- Japan bond yields jump following Fed comments
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan