Which Cable News Host Asked Guests If They Thought There Was ‘Anything Offensive’ in Ben Carson’s Speech?
World-renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Benjamin Carson grabbed headlines early this week when he gave a speech in front of President Barack Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast attacking political correctness and many of the domestic policies that have expanded the federal government over the last four years. The 25-minute faith-filled address tackled issues from education to personal responsibility, with video of the event quickly going viral leading to praise from conservative audiences and column in the Wall Street Journal titled ‘Ben Carson for President.’ Among most publications considered to be left-leaning though, the buzz-worthy speech went underreported or ignored. Left-of-center Fox News commentators Bob Beckel and Kirsten Powers called the speech “disgraceful,” and “incredibly rude to the president.”
On CNN’s State of the Union Sunday, host Candy Crowley went so far to ask guests if they found “anything offensive” from Carson’s speech considering the venue where he gave his remarks.
“I think that there is a political correctness that he was trying to use to appeal to a conservative audience,” Illinois Democratic Rep. Jan Schakowsky responded. “I think it’s really–not really an appropriate place to make this kind of political speech, and to invoke God as his support for that kind of view.
“But, I think most of all the kind of message that he was giving shows a real empathy gap of where the American people are right now, and I think it’s reflective of where many of the Republicans and Tea Parties are right now in that–we need to have an economy that works for everyone.”
Earlier in the segment former Republican Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson compared a Carson speech clip where he discussed taxation through a Biblical view, to a prayer breakfast in the 1990s she described as “uncomfortable” when Mother Theresa spoke out extensively against abortion in front of Bill and Hillary Clinton. However, Hutchinson said Carson’s point on political correctness was “a great message.” Watch a clip of the segment compiled by NewsBusters below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 538 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 492 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 296 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 133 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 187 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 134 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'