China’s Quest to Be the World’s No.1 Economic Power Continues, But How Legitimate Is Their Success?
Don’t look now but China is continuing to move toward overtaking the U.S. as the world’s number one economic power. Official figures from China and the U.S. Commerce Department last week show that the far eastern country surpassed the U.S. to become the world’s biggest trading nation in 2012, with U.S. imports and exports totaling about $3.82 trillion to China’s $3.87 trillion.
Despite the news of China’s continued progress, Asian currencies are on the decline, a fact that author Gordon Chang claims indicates a global currency manipulation war of China’s making.
“For years, policymakers thought it was not worth trying to get Beijing to stop manipulating the renminbi, yet that view was mistaken” Chang writes in Forbes. “They ignored the fact that the Chinese were undermining the consensus that the market should determine currency values.
“Now it seems it is too late to rescue the system of free-floating currencies. ”
The ‘Real News’ panel Monday discussed China’s new trade dominance, but were joined by Chang to debate the legitimacy of their success. Watch a clip from the show below:
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 389 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 115 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election
- Suicide bomber kills 3 in northwest Pakistan
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- Williams to face Tatishvili in 1st round of French
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- 'No guarantee of peace,' NKorean envoy warns China
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families