Some 3D printing projects are almost unbelievable given their sheer scale — like these plans to create a whole building out of materials made by a 3D printer. On the flip side, some 3D-printed projects are impressive due to the level of detail they host at such a small size.
Take this spaceship, for example. It’s length is only the width of a human hair — the dimensions are 125µm x 81µm x 26.8µm. Some human hairs can be as wide as 181 µm.
The spaceship specifically, according to the description of the video showing its printing process, was created with a Photonic Professional GT 3D printer. It took less than 50 seconds to complete.
Here are a few up-close pictures of the spaceship taken through the view of a scanning electron microscope:
Watch real-time the printing of the microstructure:
Learn more about the nano-lithography process of printing in this video:
- The End of Gun Control or Anarchy? See the Chilling Possibilities Created by 3D Printed Guns
- Here’s a Recap of Glenn Beck’s Awesome New 3D Printer: The Implications and What He Plans to Make
- Wiki-Weapons Conducts First Live Test for 3D Printed Guns
- 3D Printed ‘Magic Arms’ Allow Toddler to Hug Her Mom
- Material From 3D Printer Could Help You Grow Damaged Bones