Bill O’Reilly Calls for Gun Registration on Letterman: ‘Just Like You Have to Register Your Car’
On Monday night, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly appeared on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” where he defended the U.S. government’s use of drones and answered David Letterman’s questions about gun control. During the exchange, O’Reilly called for gun crimes to be “federalized” while also laying out a proposal on gun registration.
Other subjects that the two men covered included the film “Zero Dark Thirty” and the new Esquire article that documents the purported life struggles of the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden.
But while the appearance covered a variety of topics, O’Reilly’s proposal for guns were some of the most interesting. Here’s a transcript of his comments:
“Here’s what you do with guns…you federalize all gun crimes, number one. You take it out of the local jurisdiction and state and you federalize it, right? So therefore if you’re caught in a gun crime holding up a 7-11, you get a mandatory 10 years if you’re convicted in a federal pen, on top of whatever Slurpee you stole.” [...]
The second thing you do is, if you buy a gun, you have to register the gun — just like you have to register your car, alright. Now, people say ‘Oh, slippery slope, they’re gonna come–. Hey, this makes it easier for the government to take a thug who has a gun that’s not registered and put him in jail for 10 years.”
Later in the interview, Letterman expressed some confusion surrounding the difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons. After the host asked why people need automatic guns, O’Reilly corrected him, noting that these firearms are illegal (although he didn’t get into the nuance of acquiring permits for them).
“What about the … automatic weapons. I still don’t understand the need for an automatic weapon,” Letterman said. “I’m not against guns, but I don’t get the automatic weapons.”
O’Reilly tackled by trying to explain the difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons.
Watch the relevant part of the exchange, below (and see a longer portion of the interview here):
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 459 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 452 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 178 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 116 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss