Female Golfer Gets Bitten by Deadly Black Widow Spider During Tournament — What She Did Next Is Incredible
While playing in a pre-qualifier for the Women’s Australian Open in Yarralumla, Australia, Ladies European Tour rookie Daniela Holmqvist felt a sharp pain in her leg on the fourth hole. When she looked at her leg, she saw a black spider crawling off of her, which her caddies immediately identified as the deadly Black Widow.
The pain in her leg was instantaneous and severe. Holmqvist’s caddies told her that venom from a Black Widow can kill a child in just half an hour, so they knew something had to be done fast. Most people would probably head straight to the emergency room — but not Holmqvist.
As her leg started to swell, the golfer pulled a golf tee from her pocket, cut open her skin and squeezed the venom out. The Yahoo! Sports blog “Devil Ball Golf” speculates, quite accurately, that Holmqvist just may be the toughest golfer in the world.
“A clear fluid came out,” Holmqvist said. “It wasn’t the prettiest thing I’ve ever done, but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible.”
Then she finished the tournament, finishing out her round and shooting a 74. Unfortunately, she was four strokes short of qualifying, though she probably should’ve gotten a few strokes taken off for playing after getting bit by a Black Widow.
Holmqvist seems to be embracing her new nickname: “The spider woman.” Oh, and she also went to an actual doctor later on and is recovering nicely.
So there is “the shark” “pink panther” etc am I “the spider woman” now? Better than “the kangaroo lady” though..
— Daniela Holmqvist (@DHolmqvist) February 12, 2013
“So I went to see a doctor.. On a double dose of antibiotics and some other stuff 4 times per day. Also the wound needed some attention,” she tweeted, later adding: “I asked the doctor if I could do a workout today… Her response ‘the death-stare.’”
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 320 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 243 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 191 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 104 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 125 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 142 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Official: Treasury played no role in IRS targeting
- Trial for captain in deadly shipwreck in Italy
- FBI: Man shot dead in Fla had become violent during questioning in Boston bombing case
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
- House panel seeks to curb military sexual assaults
- 'GMA' host Roberts to write memoir about illness
- Vienna official: Looted Nazi goods returned