Female Golfer Gets Bitten by Deadly Black Widow Spider During Tournament — What She Did Next Is Incredible
While playing in a pre-qualifier for the Women’s Australian Open in Yarralumla, Australia, Ladies European Tour rookie Daniela Holmqvist felt a sharp pain in her leg on the fourth hole. When she looked at her leg, she saw a black spider crawling off of her, which her caddies immediately identified as the deadly Black Widow.
The pain in her leg was instantaneous and severe. Holmqvist’s caddies told her that venom from a Black Widow can kill a child in just half an hour, so they knew something had to be done fast. Most people would probably head straight to the emergency room — but not Holmqvist.
As her leg started to swell, the golfer pulled a golf tee from her pocket, cut open her skin and squeezed the venom out. The Yahoo! Sports blog “Devil Ball Golf” speculates, quite accurately, that Holmqvist just may be the toughest golfer in the world.
“A clear fluid came out,” Holmqvist said. “It wasn’t the prettiest thing I’ve ever done, but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible.”
Then she finished the tournament, finishing out her round and shooting a 74. Unfortunately, she was four strokes short of qualifying, though she probably should’ve gotten a few strokes taken off for playing after getting bit by a Black Widow.
Holmqvist seems to be embracing her new nickname: “The spider woman.” Oh, and she also went to an actual doctor later on and is recovering nicely.
So there is “the shark” “pink panther” etc am I “the spider woman” now? Better than “the kangaroo lady” though..
— Daniela Holmqvist (@DHolmqvist) February 12, 2013
“So I went to see a doctor.. On a double dose of antibiotics and some other stuff 4 times per day. Also the wound needed some attention,” she tweeted, later adding: “I asked the doctor if I could do a workout today… Her response ‘the death-stare.’”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 979 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 425 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 376 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 289 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 135 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 172 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids