See What a ‘Bitter’ Coffee Shop Worker Wrote on His Blog that Got Him Fired
(TheBlaze/AP) — A Seattle barista says it was all satire, but his popular anonymous blog that made snarky comments about his boss and the customers he didn’t like has gotten him fired.
Matt Watson was exposed as the author of the blog “Bitter Barista” this week by another coffee site called Sprudge.com, which led his boss at All City Coffee in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood to fire him, The Seattle Times reported Tuesday.
In the blog, the 30-year-old wrote that his vocabulary is too complex for his boss to understand. He also wrote about not serving customers what they ordered.
- “If you remind me four times that you’ve ordered decaf, guess what you won’t be getting … ”
- “What a coincidence! You have a gluten allergy, and I don’t care that you have a gluten allergy!”
- “‘Oh my G0d, I don’t care’ – me, during every conversation with every customer ever.”
-”Anyone that can’t put coffee in their own sugar should be publicly euthanized.”
- “I like to use a lot of big words when I tweet, that way if my boss ever finds my Twitter account, he won’t understand any of it.”
Watson claims his blog was satire and that he was just accentuating the “5 percent who I guess make our job more difficult and don’t treat us as human beings.”
“I had a good personal relationship with 95 percent of customers,” he said, adding that he thought very highly of his boss, Seth Levy.
But it might’ve also been that Watson’s condescension was too much to handle. He wrote that the average barista is, “probably an artist, overqualified, people with pretty much college education across the board.”
The New Jersey native has a bachelor’s degree in philosophy and moved to Seattle “following a girl.”
He has worked at All City Coffee for the past 2.5 years to make ends meet while pursuing a career as a hip hop artist under the moniker “Spekulation.” On his site, Watson has released several songs in which he raps.
Watson only started his Bitter Barista blog about two weeks ago, but it was getting a couple of thousand hits a day. He made no mention of All City Coffee or his real name on the site. But the operators of Sprudge.com put it together after Watson said what he was doing in his Spekulation tweets, The Seattle Times reported.
KIRO 7 has more on the story, including an interview with the “bitter” blogger:
Sprudge.com ousted Watson on Thursday: “There’s a lot of anger in this blog, and while we love the well-worn barista cliché, it should be the stuff of mild parody, not an all-out assault on whomever walks through the door of your cafe.”
According to the Times, Watson tried to convince Levy in an email: “This isn’t bad press, it’s actually really good press … especially given your customer base and the type of neighborhood that Georgetown has become … I’m just saying … it could turn out to be a fun something that gives the place a little spike in publicity.”
But Levy didn’t quite see it that way.
“He was writing about his boss during business hours,” Levy told the newspaper. “I represent the business, the customers and the staff. I can’t endorse what he was saying, whether humorous or not. It puts me in a difficult position, where if I don’t respond that means I endorse what he’s saying.”
But Watson’s already on to his next task, it seems. He hopes to put together a Bitter Barista coffee-table book.
“My ex-boss thinks the website’s gonna stop because I don’t work there anymore,” he wrote on his blog. “Man, I didn’t even work there when I worked there!”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 527 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 465 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 337 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 272 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 147 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- 20 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- German opposition party marks bittersweet 150th
- Oil down to near $93 on Chinese recovery concerns
- UK official: Suspects part of previous probes
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot