Something Remarkable Is Happening Right Now With the Price of Farmland
Investor Jim Rogers and Glenn Beck earlier today discussed the global decline in the number of people interested in pursuing farming as a professional career.
“Nobody wants to [farm],” Beck said, referring to an earlier conversation he had with Rogers. “And it’s not just here — it’s around the entire world. Farming has become a lost art.”
“The average age of farmers in America is 58,” Rogers noted. “In Japan, it’s 66. In Canada, it’s the oldest in recorded history. In Australia, it’s 58. In 10 years, those guys will be 68 (if they’re still alive). Somebody has got to go into the fields.”
“More people in America study public relations than study agriculture,” he added. “We don’t have any farmers coming up.” [Below at about the 9-minute mark]
However, despite this apparent disinterest in agriculture, and despite the drought that’s still eating away at the industry’s profits, something remarkable is happening right now in the value of U.S. cropland, according to bankers surveyed in the latest report from the Kansas City Fed.
“Farm income and land values were boosted by high crop prices and high crop insurance payments. In North and South Dakota, land lease revenue increased thanks to the region’s energy deposits,” Business Insider notes.
“Bankers in the Corn Belt and Central Plains reported strong annual increases. Meanwhile in Texas, where growing conditions were poor, farmland values increased a modest 2.6 percent year-over-year,” the report adds.
And that’s not all: For the remainder of FY2013, analysts expect farmland values to grow — and grow some more.
Here’s a chart illustrating the increase in non-irrigated cropland in Q3:
If this trend continues, as analyst Jesse Colombo notes, these agricultural areas may very well become “New Manhattans” (as far as wealth is concerned).
“Farming is going to be one of the great professions of the next 10-20 years,” Jim Rogers told Beck.
“When I speak to universities and students, I tell them they should all be studying agriculture. They don’t want to do it. They all want to get MBAs. But it’s a terrible mistake. They should be studying agriculture,” he added.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images. This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 999 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 438 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 160 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 192 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot