GOP Senator Grills Obama’s Former Chief of Staff About Who Actually Briefed the President on Night of Benghazi Attack
Former White House chief of staff Jack Lew dodged a simple and direct line of questioning about who briefed the president on the night of the Benghazi terrorist attack as lawmakers grilled him on Capitol Hill Wednesday.
Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) asked Lew to reveal who briefed President Barack Obama on the night of the terror attack. Just like everyone else who has been asked the same question, Lew said it wasn’t him who briefed Obama on Benghazi and would only say “the national security staff” did the briefing.
“In the armed services hearing last week, Secretary Panetta testified that following his and Gen. Dempsey’s five o’clock meeting on Sept. 11 after the Benghazi attack, they had no further contact with the White House and it was their understanding that it was you as chief of staff were the individual briefing the president,” Burr said. “Is that accurate?”
“Well, Senator, I did speak with the president that evening — the national security staff was working on the issue on a non-stop basis,” Lew responded.
“But who was actually briefing the president? Were you?” Burr interrupted.
Lew squirmed and replied: “I was not — I was in, in the room when the president was briefed, but I was not briefing the president.”
“Because John Brennan testified yesterday it wasn’t him. Secretary Panetta said it wasn’t him. In hearings, the ODNI Clapper said it wasn’t him. Acting DCI Mike Morell said it wasn’t him. Ambassador Kennedy said it wasn’t him, and the FBI said it wasn’t them,” the senator shot back.
“Let me ask you again. Who briefed the president on actually what was happening throughout this seven hour period?”
Lew said the “national security staff” was present, but wouldn’t say if CIA head nominee John Brennan was involved in the briefing and didn’t reveal which officials made up the group.
Outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panneta testified last week that he spoke to Obama just once on the night of the Benghazi attack and he was absent the rest of the night.
(H/T: Weekly Standard)
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 297 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 258 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 128 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 197 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 137 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Clearwire board approves higher Sprint offer
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- IRS official in center of targeting probe: 'I have not done anything wrong.'
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Iraqi premier orders army shake-up after attacks
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe