California Police Chief: ‘A Gun Is Not a Defensive Weapon — That Is a Myth’
Earlier this month, Emeryville, Calif. Police Chief Ken James argued that a gun is not a “defensive weapon” but rather an “offensive weapon used to intimidate and used to show power.”
“One issue that always boggles my mind is that the idea that a gun is a defensive weapon,” he said. “That is a myth. A gun is not a defensive weapon.”
He was speaking during a press conference promoting strict gun laws in California. James is also the chairman of the Police Chief Association’s Firearms Committee.
“A gun is an offensive weapon used to intimidate and show power,” James added. “Police officers don’t carry a gun as a defensive weapon to defend themselves or their other officers. They carry a gun to be able to do their job in a safe and effective manner and face any oppositions we may come upon.”
He went on: “If it was a defensive measure, why did we lose 55 officers nationwide last year to gun violence? And unfortunately, in just the two months of this year so far, we have lost two officers to gun violence in the state of California alone…We are asking and have been asking for reasonable regulations, not that are going to impact the legal gun owner.”
Those reasonable regulations include a ban on semi-automatic rifles, high capacity magazines and universal background checks. Lawmakers in California — and now Missouri — have also proposed legislation that includes potential confiscation of semi-automatic rifles.
Do you agree that a gun is not a “defensive” weapon?
(H/T: Washington Examiner)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 501 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 468 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 385 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 371 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 197 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 134 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Ago Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 100 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Nixon library hosts reunion for Vietnam POWs
- Euro Tour CEO apologizes for saying 'colored'
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Study: No higher cancer rate at Conn. Pratt plant
- Distraught mom becomes face of Oklahoma storm