Preschool ‘Scrambling’ to Find Students for Obama Visit…Because It’s Winter Break
President Barack Obama’s visit to a Georgia preschool to unveil his plan for universal pre-K is not without a few snags — namely, the students themselves.
Obama is set to visit a pre-K classroom at the College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center in Decatur, Ga. shortly after noon Thursday, but that’s apparently proven to be a challenge, given that the school system is currently on winter break, a school staff member confirmed to TheBlaze.
The staff member refused to comment on how Obama’s visit was being handled with the students technically off, but Atlanta’s WSB radio reported that “teachers and administrators have been scrambling to get parents to bring their 4-year-olds back to school so the president will not have to tour empty classrooms.”
“It was quite a good response,” Decatur Schools legislative liaison Courtney Burnett told WSB of how parents reacted. “It’s about 75 percent per classroom.”
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheBlaze about why the school was chosen if it was on break or who made the request to bring students back.
Obama called for expanding preschool programs during his State of the Union address Tuesday night.
“I propose working with states to make high-quality preschool available to every single child in America,” Obama said Tuesday. “In states that make it a priority to educate our youngest children, like Georgia or Oklahoma, studies show students grow up more likely to read and do math at grade level, graduate high school, hold a job, form more stable families of their own. We know this works. So let’s do what works and make sure none of our children start the race of life already behind. Let’s give our kids that chance.”
Update: The White House press pool reported that Obama visited with a classroom of 16 children ages 4 and 5. Among the greetings the kids called out were “Are you our teacher?”, “Welcome, Mr. President” and “I saw you on TV.”
Obama sat down to play at a couple different tables, including one where he picked up a magnifying glass.
“This is sort of like ‘I Spy.’ I remember ‘I Spy,’” Obama said.
The report noted that the school had been closed for break but was reopened for Obama’s visit.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 469 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 354 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- La Scala scales back on productions due to crisis
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
- Nixon library hosts 40th reunion for Vietnam POWs
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April