‘Racial Overtones’: HS Students Say They Were Suspended for Wearing Flag Bandanas and Chanting ‘USA! USA!’ at a Basketball Game
Four California high school students claimed they were suspended for wearing patriotic bandanas and chanting “USA! USA!” during a school basketball game.
It happened last week at a game between rivals Camarillo High School and Rio Mesa High School in Ventura County, the Ventura County Star reported. The Rio Mesa students said a Camarillo associate principal warned spectators in the stands not to curse or make racial comments, then saw their bandanas and told them to either remove them or leave.
The four students went outside, then ran back in at halftime wearing the bandanas and leading a chant of “USA! USA!” according to the newspaper. That’s when they were escorted out and said they were handed five-day suspensions — punishments that were later lifted.
“We’ve done it always,” Austin Medeiros told the Star of wearing the bandanas. “It’s something we do. It’s the same group of friends. We always talk about it. We’re all very patriotic.”
Camarillo High principal Glenn Lipman disputed the students’ claim that they were suspended, but said they were asked to leave the campus. He told the Star that asking them to remove their bandanas was a precaution because of the diverse student bodies of both high schools. The schools each have large Hispanic populations.
Oxnard Union School District Superintendent Gabe Soumakian backed the principal, telling Fox News there were “racial overtones” to the “USA!” chant.
“There was symbolism there with the bandana and the chant,” Soumakian said, claiming it had “nothing to do with being patriotic or unpatriotic.”
“It has to do with the fact that they are making a chant regarding that we are from the USA and you’re not. Whether that’s the implied intent, that’s the way it comes across,” he said.
Soumakian also told Fox that chanting “USA!” does not comply with state athletic guidelines.
“They have to respect everyone,” he said. “When you go to a game – you cheer for your team and you don’t make any derogatory comments or make inappropriate comments toward the other team.”
Though the students’ punishments were lifted, Soumakian said the incident isn’t over.
“As a superintendent I think we need to pursue this further,” he said. “We need to work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.”
It’s not the first time a “USA! USA!” chant has been deemed inappropriate by school officials. Last year, Texas school officials filed a complaint after supporters of a rival team broke into the chant after clinching a regional championship.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 560 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 484 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 341 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 242 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 238 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations