MSNBC Host: If Newtown Massacre Happened at a Black School, We Wouldn’t Be Having ‘National Conversation About Guns’
Attacking the National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre as a racist, MSNBC co-host Touré — no last name, just Touré — said the NRA chief’s rhetoric is full of racial undertones and argued that there would be no “national conversation” about guns if Newtown shooter had shot up a black school.
During his “Touré TV” editorial segment on “The Cycle” Friday, Toure observed that gun violence disproportionately affects minority community, especially blacks. He pointed out that there is strong support in the black community for gun control.
“Perhaps we know Wayne LaPierre is wrong about good guys, and bad guys, and guns…I’m sure many of us find him hard to trust given his obvious use of racial demonization to spread fear that will lead to buying guns,” he said.
Referencing LaPierre’s op-ed in The Daily Caller, Toure jabbed at the NRA head for going after a fictional place called “South Brooklyn” where crime is rampant.
“I think it’s safe to say that when he says that, much of the country envisions a place clogged with black people,” Touré said.
He went on: “Now, if Adam Lanza had walked into a black public school in this mythical South Brooklyn, or in the South Side of Chicago, we would probably not be having a sustained, national conversation about guns.”
Toure then implored Obama to act on gun control, saying whatever he accomplished will “disproportionally help us.”
While there is no doubt that gun violence is devastating within the black community, to suggest the country at large would have reacted any differently to 20 dead black children as opposed to “white” children is outrageous.
Watch the segment via MSNBC below:
(H/T: Noah Rothman, Mediaite)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 846 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 282 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 243 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 242 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 166 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 180 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 183 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- President Obama to speak on Oklahoma disaster
- Pigeon sale yields world record for feathered Bolt
- Burberry's profit hit by perfume deal's demise
- How the French economy compares to Germany's, UK's
- Housing recovery boosts Home Depot 1Q results
- Moscow blasts alleged vote theft at Eurovision
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans
- Sprint to listen to Dish offer