Referee Penalizes High School Wrestler for Praying Before Match
Nicholas Fant regularly drops to one knee and says a prayer before competing in Wake Forest-Rolesville High School wrestling matches. But on Tuesday, after the student took a few moments to pray before heading into the center of the mat, he ended up landing himself in hot water. The referee slapped Fant with a stalling warning for his invocation and, as a result, the wrestler lost a point; he later lost the entire match.
The student, who was competing in the first round of the North Carolina playoffs, wasn’t happy with the referee’s decision to cite him for praying — and neither was the community. His coach, Sam Hershey, said that he planned to investigate the rules to learn more about the call, however he didn’t plan on reporting the incident to the N.C. High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA).
But even if Hershey had reported it, the organization likely wouldn’t have been on Fant’s side. NCHSAA Commissioner David Whitfield told Fox News’ Todd Starnes that the referee made the correct call and that the decision to penalize the student had nothing to do with religion.
When students are called to the mat, Whitfield said it’s time to wrestle.
“It had nothing to do with prayer or anything related to a faith-based scenario,” he told Starnes. “It had everything to do with the rules of wrestling.”
Whitfield did say that referees can use their discretion and that the individual overseeing the match was not required to penalize Fant. That said, according to the rules, he had every right to do so.
Starnes also spoke with David Culbreth of the Southeastern Wrestling Officials Association, though, and he disagreed with Whitfield. Culbreth said that he would have allowed Fant to take two seconds to pray.
“I’m not going to call that, but if it turned into a 60-second prayer – he’d probably get a verbal warning – or I might try to say ‘Amen’ for him,” he explained.
What do you think? Should Fant have been given the chance to pray for a few seconds or was the referee correct in his call? Let us know in the comments section.
(H/T: Fox News’ Todd Starnes)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 527 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 466 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 455 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 338 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 325 Comments
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 274 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Restaurant torched in 4th night of Sweden riots
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Britain: Soldier slaying suspects had been probed