Meteors, Asteroids & Now This: Fireball Seen Streaking Across the San Francisco Sky
In the same 24-hour period that a meteor injured more than 1,000 people when it exploded over Russia and a 150-foot asteroid skimmed past the Earth, a strange fireball streaked across the northern California sky Friday night.
Sightings were reported around 7:45 p.m. local time as far north as Sacramento and as south as Santa Cruz, according to KNTV-TV.
The fireball was described as bluish in color and seemed like it was plummeting straight toward the ground. One YouTube user driving in the San Francisco Bay Area posted video of what looked like a “bright blue shooting star.”
“I saw that meteor/fireball over Solano County after spending the day reporting on asteroids and fireballs,” KNTV reporter Jodi Hernandez said.
One astronomer told the station it sounded like a “sporadic meteor,” which can happen several times a day, and was unrelated to the asteroid that passed by Earth.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 855 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 289 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 267 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 242 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 170 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 183 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 140 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- South Africa: Winnie Mandela forced auction flops
- 3 Hezbollah fighters die of wounds from Syria
- Futures fall as markets await hints from Fed
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Apple's Cook to face Senate questions on taxes
- Group: More Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes'
- Vodafone annual profits up 1.9 percent
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival