Mom Says Stranger Slapped Her 2-Year-Old Son, Told Her to ‘Shut That’ N-Word ‘Baby Up!’
A Minneapolis mother says her 2-year-old son is traumatized after a stranger slapped him near the eye and yelled at her to “shut that [n-word] baby up!” during an Atlanta-bound flight.
The alleged incident happened on Feb. 8 during a Delta Air Lines flight from Minneapolis. Jessica Bennett told KARE-TV her son had started to cry because of the pressure change as the plane began to descend.
Bennett said the man next to her, identified as 60-year-old Joe Rickey Hundley, of Hayden, Idaho, “reeked of alcohol” and was “belligerent” then leaned over and said “shut that [n-word] baby up!” before slapping the child. The slap, right near the boy’s eye, caused him to bleed and cry even harder.
“I could not believe he would say that and then hit him,” Bennett told KARE. “I felt like I was in another world. I was shaking.”
She received assistance from others on the flight and was reseated with her son. Hundley was later charged with simple assault and could face up to a year in jail. His attorney said he will plead not guilty.
“Hundley’s comments were racist and hateful,” Bennett said. “We have numerous questions about how a passenger could get so violently out of control as to assault a toddler.”
Hundley has been suspended from his job as president of Unitech Composites and Structures, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported.
“We are taking this matter seriously,” said Al Haase, president and chief executive officer of AGC Aerospace and Defense, Composites Group, Unitech’s parent company. “In accordance with our company’s personal conduct policy, we have suspended the employee pending investigation.”
The family wants Hundley brought to justice.
“If he goes unpunished it would be awful,” Jessica Bennett’s husband Josh told KARE. “We want to see this guy do some time.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 157 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 226 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan