26-Year-Old With Down Syndrome Asphyxiated While Resisting Police Over Movie Ticket
The case of a 26-year-old Maryland man with Down syndrome who died last month in police custody after he was removed from a theater for refusing to leave a movie he had already seen has been ruled a homicide after an autopsy revealed he was asphyxiated.
Frederick County Sheriff’s Office Cpl. Jennifer Bailey said Robert Ethan Saylor died on Jan. 12 after resisting arrest by three deputies at a Frederick movie theater. The Frederick News Post reported that Saylor, who was in handcuffs for refusing to leave or purchase another ticket, experienced a medical emergency and was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The News Post reported former law enforcement officer Dr. George Kirkham, who is a professor of criminology at Florida State University, saying it seems Saylor might have suffered from positional asphyxia:
Positional asphyxia is typically the result of an intense struggle and often involves a person who is handcuffed and lying on their stomach after the struggle. Kirkham said people often panic and can’t catch their breath. People with larger stomachs are particularly vulnerable, he said, because their bellies will push into their sternums, making breathing even more difficult.
“People get into almost like a drowning swimmer panic, and they’re just fighting for their lives,” Kirkham said. “Their cardiovascular system is just going wild.”
Kirkham also noted to the News Post that the phenomenon is well-known and that those who are on drugs or who have mental issues might be more susceptible. Bailey told the News Post officers at the sheriff’s department are trained about positional asphyxia.
The officers involved remain on duty with the department while the investigation is underway. No charges will be made, if any, until the investigation is complete and the Frederick County State’s Attorney Charlie Smith has reviewed the details, the News Post reported.
According to Saylor’s obituary, he actually had a strong interest in learning about police and security agencies.
“More than anything, Ethan loved his family, his friends, his loyal and caring staff, and his cat Gracie (Fireball),” Saylor’s obituary read. “Ethan was a loved and cherished member of Damascus Road Community Church, where he participated in the men’s Choir. Ethan was known by the congregation as ‘the best hugger’ and was warmly embraced by all.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 531 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 468 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 457 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 342 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 277 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- 25 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers