Currency Wars: Euro Bank Chief Pledges To Avert Currency Clash
[Editor's note: The following is a cross post that originally appeared on CNBC.com]:
European Central Bank President Mario Draghi on Monday ruled out using the euro as a tool to boost the euro zone economy after a number of euro zone policymakers said last week the euro was too strong.
“As regards the exchange rate, let me be clear that the exchange rate is not a policy target, but it is important for growth and price stability,” Draghi said.
Over the weekend, G-20 finance chiefs and central bank heads re-affirmed their commitment not to engage in a currency war.
“We’ve seen the euro come off slightly, it’s still within its daily range, still above 1.3290,” Kathleen Brooks, research director at Forex.com said.
“What it does reinforce though is that Draghi is very worried about the strength of the euro still. However, he’s still very limited in the tools that he can use, you know, it’s a market-based exchange rate, what can he do?”
The euro declined against the dollar on Monday after Draghi said economic indicators signaled further weakness in the euro zone.
“Available indicators signal further weakness at the beginning of 2013, with domestic demand remaining dampened. This is due to weak consumer and investor sentiment and to the necessary balance sheet adjustments in both the public and private sectors. Foreign demand also remains subdued,” Draghi said in a statement before the European Parliament’s Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs in Brussles.
The euro declined to 1.3340 against the dollar from 1.3360, following his comments.
Draghi also sounded a dovish note on inflation, saying: “annual inflation in the euro area has continued to moderate, falling from 2.5 percent in October to 2.2 percent in November and December and 2.0 percent in January… Inflation is expected to decline to below 2 percent in the near term.”
- What Currency War? Move Along, G-20 Leaders Say
- Lagarde: Currency War? More Like Currency Worries
- Europe’s Economy Still Weak: ECB’s Draghi
- Lagarde Sees Currency Worries, Not ‘War’
©2013 CNBC LLC.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 248 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 130 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief