Higher Education: Ivy League Prof Strips Down to Underwear and Plays Footage of 9/11, Hitler on First Day of Quantum Physics Course
On the first day of his quantum physics course at Columbia University, an Ivy League institution, professor Emlyn Hughes figured it best to strip down to his underwear to change outfits in front of his class and play footage of the 9/11 attacks, Adolf Hitler, North Korea and Saddam Hussein.
The “Frontiers of Science” course is reportedly one of Columbia University’s core classes. Watch the video taken by someone in the classroom (Warning: Music in clip contains explicit language):
According to our reports, the first class of the physics unit was running a bit late when the lights went out. When they came back on, professor Emlyn Hughes was in the spotlight.
[...] and he started to undress and put on a hoodie and sunglasses. After that, he curled up into a fetal position in his chair as images of 9/11, Nazi Germany, and North Korea started playing on the projector.
And just when students thought it couldn’t get any more strange, ninjas appeared and smashed puppets onstage with what looks like a samurai sword. The entire scene occurred while Lil’ Wayne’s “Drop It Like It’s Hot” played in the background.
While the majority of the song is literally too explicit to include, here’s a very small taste of some of the lyrics (WARNING: Explicit language):
First I need you to bend both knees, wobble that a** right
Then pop that p****, to the left one time, the right two times
Show a ni**** something, put it on a ni**** mind, come on, come on
Now twerk it b**ch, ain’t no need to hold in it, what you working with
You want a hot boy, is it worth it b**ch?
Then break a ni**** off, let me hurt you b**ch, let me hurt you b**ch
If you want to hear the entire song that was played for students at Columbia University, you can listen to the song on YouTube. But again, we stress that the song is extremely graphic and profane.
“In order to learn quantum mechanics, you have to strip to your raw, erase all the garbage from your brain and start over again,” the professor says after the presentation. “Quantum mechanics — nothing you have learned in your life up to now has in any way helped prepared you for this. Because everything you do in your everyday life is totally opposite of what you are going to learn in quantum mechanics.”
Keep in mind, it costs about $22,000 a semester to attend Columbia. While the crazy antics displayed by Hughes were clearly entertaining to some of the students, some of the parents who are footing the bill so their kids can get a quality education are probably not as thrilled with this particular “lesson.”
On radio Tuesday, Glenn Beck offered a unique take on the incident — on he admitted his regular listeners might not expect from him.
After a quick primer on quantum mechanic — which he admitted might be hard to grasp — Beck said he thought the professor was trying to make a point on day one:
So I said that I believe this guy is either insane or because I know what quantum mechanics is, it sounds like the ramblings of the insane. What he’s doing is he’s doing his speech completely undressed. He’s only wearing boxer shorts and he’s doing it because somewhere he’s giving a boring lecture. He’s doing all of these things that don’t seem to make any sense at all because somewhere in the universe he does make sense. So he’s either nuts or he is trying to engage and make a point right away that what you’re about to see makes no sense. And he’s trying to demonstrate quantum mechanics on day number one. Listen to what he says that nobody seems to pick up on now at the end of his rant.
I think, and this will come as a surprise. If you don’t really read the story or if you don’t understand quantum mechanics ‑‑ and I barely do ‑‑ I can’t believe I’m depending a professor that is stripped down to his underwear at an Ivy League university but I believe this guy may be genius in his approach. Trying to get people to understand the insane in today’s world with the way colleges are now and the way college students are now, this may have been the best approach to get their attention. I completely ‑‑ and I can’t believe I’m saying this because I don’t support very many people on college campuses in their teachings, especially when they’re in their underpants. But from what I know and what I think happened here, I think the guy’s a genius and I think based on what I know, I support him. This is a teacher or a professor that is thinking out of the box, which exactly you have to do. But he is thinking out of the box and I think he’s remarkable. And brave. Because somebody looking in from the outside, they’re not going to understand it.
Confused? Watch Beck explain it below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 156 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 226 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan