First Burger King, Now Jeep: See Who Claims to Have Bought Jeep on Its Hacked Twitter Account
A little more than 24 hours after Burger King’s Twitter account was hacked by someone who transformed the site into one full of McDonald’s promotions, among other more nefarious content, Jeep seems to have succumbed to a similar attack.
Tuesday afternoon Jeep’s Twitter account stated the company was sold to Cadillac. The account seems to have been recovered by Jeep, but they have not yet made an official statement. Most of the unofficial looking tweets have been deleted but a couple seem to remain as of the time of this posting.
The hack of the account wasn’t as aesthetically sophisticated as Burger King’s. The hacker left Twitter’s default profile picture (an egg) up for Jeep, although one tweet had the Cadillac logo. The content of the tweets were full of swear words, but here are a few cleaner examples:
Here is some of the reaction by others on Twitter to this latest hack:
It is unclear if this hacker is the same as the one who attacked Burger King yesterday. The drug-related content of the tweeted pictures makes it seem similar.
Burger King’s account was suspended within the hour of it being hacked. The company later issued an apology and said it wasn’t sure who was behind the attack.
“Earlier today, our official BK Twitter Account was compromised by unauthorized users,” Bryson Thornton, a spokesman for Miami-based Burger King Worldwide Inc., said in a statement. “Upon learning of this incident, our social media teams immediately began working with Twitter security administrators to suspend the compromised account until we could re-establish our brand’s official Twitter page. We apologize to our loyal fans and followers, whom might have received unauthorized tweets from our account. We are pleased to announce that the account is now active again.”
The account was up and running again late Monday, and The Atlantic Wire noted they had 30,000 more followers because of the whole ordeal.
Twitter acknowledged on Feb. 1 that cyber attackers may have stolen user names and passwords of 250,000 users. It said at the time that it notified users of the breach.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 469 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 357 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 328 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 178 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Officials: Suspect lunged at FBI agent with knife
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Judge: Hollister clothing unfriendly to disabled
- Bahrain opposition group snubs crisis talks
- Officials: Man lunged at FBI agent with knife while being questioned about Boston bombings
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team