Oops: Obama Cited a Pro-ANWR Drilling Report While Touting Energy Policy in His State of the Union Address
President Obama during his State of the Union address last week cited a report that calls for expanded offshore drilling and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), according to a report from the Washington Free Beacon (WFB).
Considering his administration’s anti-drilling history, this comes as a bit of a shock.
The moment occurred when the president proposed establishing an “energy security trust,” citing a report by Securing America’s Future Energy (SAFE).
“If a nonpartisan coalition of CEOs and retired generals and admirals can get behind this idea, then so can we,” the president said. “Let’s take their advice and free our families and businesses from the painful spikes in gas prices we’ve put up with for far too long.”
As many Blaze readers know, the Obama administration hasn’t been keen to the idea of expanded drilling.
“[T]he Department of the Interior’s latest five-year leasing plan for offshore oil development excludes the Atlantic and Pacific coast,” the WFB notes.
“The administration’s decision to open areas of the Arctic Sea for oil exploration was panned by environmentalists,” the report adds.
But here’s what the report cited by the president says:
While it remains critical to balance environmental preservation and energy extraction, [the Department of the] Interior’s current approach falls short of striking such a balance. Operating in the wake of a serious industry failure, DOI has essentially locked the nation into a Gulf-centric approach to offshore development that unnecessarily constrains access to potentially promising resources elsewhere.
Significant oil and natural gas resources on federal lands, both onshore and offshore, remain unavailable for development due to statutory restrictions and bureaucratic inertia.
“Republicans and drilling advocates say that up to 85 percent of America’s potential offshore oil remains off-limits under the administration’s plan,” the Beacon report notes.
SAFE has been working “very closely” with the Obama administration to put together the “energy trust,” SAFE spokesman Brad Goehner tells the Beacon.
“You see what we put forward as the best way to approach this, which does include revenue from expanded production,” Goehner said. ”As far as the White House plan, we’re still waiting to see all the details.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image Getty Images.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 506 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 329 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 105 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 205 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 141 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 104 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Francona manages at Fenway for 1st time since 2011
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach
- Red Wings top Blackhawks 2-0, take 3-1 series lead
- GOP's Walker touts state ties during trip to Iowa
- Brown hounded for calling Manila 'gates of hell'
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set