UPDATED: Tea Party Group Claims Email Featuring Karl Rove Dressed As Nazi Was An Accident
The Tea Party Patriots, a limited-government advocacy group, sent a mass email Tuesday that included an image of Republican strategist Karl Rove dressed as a Nazi SS officer.
And now the group says it was all a terrible mistake.
“We did not know about or approve a manufactured image added to a recent email from the Tea Party Patriots. It was added by an outside vendor. The image was inappropriate and we have ordered the vendor to immediately cease further use of the image,” co-founder Jenny Beth Martin said in a statement.
The group said it had requested a specific image of Rove thumbing his nose, but that the third party vendor mistakenly used the Nazi image from an online slideshow:
“Wipe the Smirk Off Karl Rove’s Face,” reads the subject line of the original email.
“Karl Rove believes he can raise hundreds of millions of dollars, crush the Tea Party movement and protect the big-government status quo in Washington from millions of freedom loving Americans,” the email adds. “Well, he’s wrong.”
The email vendor, Active Engagement, said it takes full responsibility for the mistake.
“It was a mistake that we made. It was not a mistake that went through Tea Party Patriots,” J.D. Norman, a partner at Active Engagement, told POLITCO, adding that his firm handles “tens of millions of emails over the course of a month or so for each independent client.”
“Obviously, it was the worst picture that could have been mistakenly put in that email. Beyond that it’s just a human error,” he adds. “We’re trying to look into how it happened to prevent it in the future.”
Here is the official statement from the Tea Party Patriots:
Earlier today, an e-mail under the Tea Party Patriots banner included a photo-shopped image of Karl Rove in a Nazi uniform. This image was not approved by Tea Party Patriots, and the e-mail approved by Tea Party Patriots did not include the image.
Tea Party Patriots has expressed an apology to Mr. Rove for this unacceptable imagery, and is implementing stricter controls to ensure such an error does not happen again.
We apologize to Mr. Rove. While we may have strong disagreements with Mr. Rove on the future of conservatism, we want to be clear this imagery is absolutely unacceptable and are working to ensure this type of mistake doesn’t happen again.
And here’s the statement from Active Engagement:
An email that was sent earlier today under the banner of Tea Party Patriots included an offensive image of Karl Rove.
The image was obviously a photo shopped image of Mr. Rove, a well-known political figure. The image was selected in error from an extensive group of images available publicly online and was adjacent to the image that Tea Party Patriots approved for use.
The email that included the image was not approved by Tea Party Patriots. Active Engagement, L.L.C. takes full responsibility for this error and is attempting to contact everyone who received the image to explain the error. More importantly, Active Engagement, L.L.C. apologizes to Mr. Rove for this mistake. Active Engagement, L.L.C. does not believe there is any place in political discourse for images such as these.
UPDATE — In a brief statement to The Daily Caller, Karl Rove responded to the TPP’s apology: “Apology accepted. Now let’s all get back to work building conservative Republican majorities and stop President Obama’s agenda.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image Google images. This post and headline have been updated for clarity.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 420 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested