Father Allegedly Requests ‘No African American Nurse’ Care for His Baby — and Now the Hospital Is Being Sued
An African-American nurse claims a Michigan hospital agreed to a man’s request that no black nurses care for his newborn. The hospital has denied these allegations.
Tonya Battle, 49, tells the Detroit Free Press she didn’t know how to react when she learned about the request in October at Hurley Medical Center in Flint. Battle sued last month in Genesee Circuit Court seeking punitive damages.
Battle’s lawsuit claims a note was posted on an assignment clipboard reading “No African American nurse to take care of baby.” She says it was later removed, but claims black nurses weren’t assigned to the baby’s care for about a month.
“I introduced myself to him. ‘Hi, I’m Tonya and I’m taking care of your baby. Can I see your [identification] band?’” Battle said to the Free Press, referring to the hospital-issued identification used to identify infants’ parents. “And he said in return, ‘And I need to see your supervisor.’”
Battle told the Free Press she felt it was important to bring the issue to court because she started thinking “What’s next?”
“A note on the water fountain that says ‘No blacks’? Or a note on the bathroom that says ‘No blacks’?” she said.
Here’s how the hospital spokesperson said the situation went, according to the Detroit News:
“Upon making his demand, [the father] then showed Nurse Battle’s supervisor his swastika tattoo, which created anger and outrage in our staff,” hospital spokeswoman Ilene Cantor said.
“This resulted in concern by supervisors for the safety of the staff,” she said. “The father was informed that his request could not be granted.”
Hurley President Melany Gavulic echoed this in a statement Tuesday saying that the man’s revealing of the swastika tattoo, angered and concerned for the staff for their safety. She said that the father was denied his request, which made all nurses available to care for the newborn.
Watch Gavulic give the hospital’s statement to the press:
The Lansing State Journal reported that Gavulic and a hospital attorney met Tuesday with the Michigan chapter president of Al Sharpton’s National Action Network, Rev. Charles Williams II. Although Williams said he believes the hospital is seeking to resolve the issue and that Gavulic was “heartfelt” about doing so, he believes the hospital has yet to publicly admit wrong doing. Given this statement, it seems that even after this meeting Williams is still convinced the hospital might have avoided assigning black nurses to care for the baby.
“These kinds of actions should not be tolerated, especially when it’s the public dime,” Williams said, according to the Detroit News.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 481 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 426 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 388 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 311 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 115 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 113 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 219 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 204 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- School storm protection is spotty in tornado zones
- Obama threatens veto of House student loan plan
- House committee passes Iran sanctions legislation
- London terror attack leaves 1 dead near barracks
- Facebook posts: Suit filed over vet's detention
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Target's 1Q profit drops 29 pct on weak sales
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles of govt travelers