Laura Bush, Colin Powell and Dick Cheney Featured in…New Gay Rights Ad
The Respect for Marriage Coalition, a group pushing to end the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), is likely to catch the ire of social conservatives with a new spot that features prominent Republican voices speaking out in favor of same-sex marriage. The individuals shown in the clip are former Vice President Dick Cheney, First Lady Laura Bush and former Sec. of State Colin Powell. President Barack Obama’s comments about gays and lesbians from last month’s inaugural address are also included.
The group, which is a combined effort of the Human Rights Campaign and Freedom to Marry, is planning to spend $1 million to air the spot as well as to place a print version featuring quotes from these Republicans in prominent newspapers. In addition to full-page ads in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, these blurbs will also appear online.
The video ad is entitled, “Leadership,” and it features a voice over that advances the notion that Americans are increasingly becoming supportive of gay rights and same-sex marriage (public opinion polls corroborate this claim).
“None of us would want to be told we can’t marry the person we love. That’s why a growing majority of Americans believe it’s time to allow marriage for gay and lesbian couples,” the ad proclaims.
Bush is then shown in a 2010 CNN interview saying, “When couples are committed to each other and love each other then they ought to have the same sort of rights that everyone has.” In a separate CNN exchange from last year, Powell notes, “Allowing them to live together with the protection of law, it seems to me is the way we should be moving in this country.” And Cheney says that “freedom means freedom for everyone.”
Watch the controversial spot, below:
Related Gay Marriage Stories:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 112 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 210 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 106 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit
- Safe room mandates remain rare in tornado states
- Turkey passes bill restricting alcohol sales, ads
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys