The Way This Man Was Reunited With His Impounded Dog Because of a Touching Photo Will Tug at Your Heart
A California man with only $6 in his pocket lost his dog last week when he was arrested for marijuana (he later showed he had a prescription). Heartbroken, he visited the animal shelter everyday where the dog was impounded — and one woman who spotted him crying at the cage changed everything for him.
Dave Thomas from San Bernardino told the San Bernardino Sun “it made [him] crazy” that he couldn’t afford the $400 it would cost to release the pit bull mix named Buzz Lightyear.
When Maria Sanchez, a woman the Sun reported visits the shelter daily to take photos for awareness efforts, posted a picture of Thomas and Buzz holding hands (er, hand and paw) at the cage, it went viral. Not only did Thomas receive enough money to free Buzz — $2,000 was raised as of Tuesday — but the Sun noted it also resulted in a job offer and a marriage proposal.
“It’s just incredible,” Thomas told the Sun. “I believe it’s for my dog and not me.”
Watch this report from KTLA:
But there was a twist when it came to the donations pouring in — where to find the man who left none of his information with the shelter. The Sun reported that some were incorrectly stating Thomas was homeless, which is not the case. That’s where the photo took another viral turn. Instead of raising money, it was shared by more than 3,500 people on Facebook to see if anyone could help find Thomas, the Sun reported. It was reporters who were able to locate him.
Watch KABC catch up with Thomas earlier this week:
Thomas was hoping to get Buzz back Tuesday, but the Sun reported that the shelter wouldn’t release the dog until he was neutered. KTLA reported that Buzz would be able to go home Wednesday.
The Sun reported that Thomas was arrested last week for possession of marijuana, but also noted he showed papers indicating he was allowed to use the drug for medicinal purposes. Thomas was initially stating he was arrested for failing to appear in court over traffic tickets, but law enforcement said this was not the case.
Police told the Sun removal of the dog was standard procedure as there was no one around to take care of it upon Thomas’ arrest Friday.
The San Bernardino Sun has more heartfelt pictures of Thomas with Buzz and his reaction to the outpouring of support he has received here.
Watch this footage of Thomas after he had found out he would be able to get Buzz back:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 531 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 468 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 457 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 343 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 277 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- 25 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers