Beck Talks Gun Control With Columbine Survivor Who Wrote Scathing Letter to Obama (Plus: Bill O’Reilly Weighs In)
Evan Todd, a Columbine survivor who released a powerful letter to President Obama against gun control earlier this week, appeared on Glenn Beck’s television program Thursday to elaborate on his letter and discuss what prompted it.
After introducing his guest, Beck asked Todd what he was feeling during the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary.
“It was like living it all over again, the same feelings as [the day] Columbine happened,” Todd, who was shot during the school massacre, said. “The fear, not knowing what’s going to happen, helplessness, and just watching it unfold and knowing that there will be innocent lives that are killed…”
He explained how he was asked by the shooters why they shouldn’t finish him off, and how he replied that he’d been kind to them and everyone else in the school.
But Todd was left asking the same question that Beck says has been nagging him: how could somebody do this?
“It was evident that it came from our culture and what is put out there,” Todd said. “Everything from the video games to even abortion plays a huge subconscious factor in the value of human life.”
After Beck noted that Todd is a brave man to assert those points, the two discussed President Obama’s stated solutions.
“Point by point, the initiatives that Obama put forward clearly hinders the average American citizen from protecting themselves,” Todd asserted.
“It makes it harder to get a gun, it makes it more expensive to get a gun, the magazine limits…at the same time, it enables criminals on the other side,” he added.
Watch the entire interview, which also includes Todd’s explanation for why he didn’t tackle the shooters with a pen like Colorado state Rep. Joe Salazar suggests women do with rapists, below:
Beck proceeded to discuss gun control and the apparent devaluing of human life with Fox News host Bill O’Reilly.
When Beck asked O’Reilly what he thinks the Obama administration’s “end game” is on gun control, O’Reilly said he doesn’t mind state laws that target the problem, but is opposed to a federal overhaul.
The two jokingly bantered about whether President Obama will be done at two terms, and whether by the end of it the administration will have rounded up all the guns from law-abiding citizens, before turning to the issue of human life.
In New York, O’Reilly said Governor Andrew Cuomo is “barbaric.”
“They want to legalize late-term abortion for any reason,” he said, claiming that a migraine headache or hangnail is sufficient justification, and that a nurse practitioner can sign off on it.
“[But] it’s not about Andrew Cuomo,” he continued, “it’s us. We’re turning into barbarians [as] Americans. We don’t care.”
“It’s going to take a disaster now, economically probably, to turn people away from their narcissism,” O’Reilly concluded. “It’s not that they’re bad people, they’re apathetic, they don’t care.”
Watch the entire exchange, below:
- Columbine Survivor Pens Bold Open Letter to Obama Rejecting Gun Control: ‘Whose Side Are You On?’
- Being Shot Gave This Columbine Survivor Strong Views on Gun Control — Here’s Why He Opposes More Restrictions
- ‘It Makes Me Sick’: Columbine Survivor Reflects on Forgiveness & Offers His Thoughts on the Colo. Shooting
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 569 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 358 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 267 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 247 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final