Could High-Tech ID Cards Trip Up Immigration Reform?
Privacy advocates are voicing concerns about a lesser-known point in the much-publicized bipartisan ”Gang of Eight” immigration reform proposal introduced last month.
Key senators are exploring an immigration reform bill that would in part force every citizen and non-citizen U.S. worker to carry a high-tech identity card that would use fingerprints or other personal markers to prove a person’s legal ability to work, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Civil liberties organizations fear this portion of the law could lead to a national identity card that could trace Americans through their daily lives. In addition to the Senate plan, the leaked White House “backup plan” also calls for illegal immigrants to submit biometric information to qualify for a new type of visa.
Chris Calabrese of the American Civil Liberties Union is worried the biometric ID card could eventually be required to board airplanes, purchase a firearm or vote, Fox News reports.
“It becomes in essence a permission slip to do all of the ordinary things that are your rights as an American,” Calabrese says.
The notion of biometric IDs has been talked about before in the immigration debate and supported by five members of the Gang of Eight in the past.
Could these high-tech ID cards split each party down civil libertarians lines and be the straw that breaks the back of this increasingly doomed immigration reform push?
Watch the “Real News” panel debate Thursday on high-tech ID cards:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,025 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 459 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 430 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 246 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 106 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 220 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 130 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans