Obama Web Site Invokes Teen’s Tragic Loss to Urge Americans to Share Their Stories About Gun Violence
On Wednesday, Organizing for Action, the non-profit organization set up as the successor to President Barack Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign, sent an e-mail to supporters with a subject line that read, “I’m doing this for my dad.”
Inside, recipients found a note from a teenager named Sami Rahamim. The young man shared the details of his father’s tragic shooting death last year and encouraged those reading the letter to submit their own, personal stories to the organization recapping how gun violence has impacted their lives.
Sami’s father, Reuven Rahamim, was killed last September after a disgruntled ex-worker came into the business he founded and murdered six workers (including Rahamim). Since the incident, his son has become an advocate, speaking out fervently about gun violence. Sami’s work has captured the attention of the Obama camp, as he is being invoked to help in the president’s push for increased gun control.
“I’m honoring his memory — and those of many others who have fallen — by doing something about gun violence,” the teen’s e-mail read. “When I think of the number of lives that could have been saved by universal background checks or better access to mental health services, I simply don’t understand why Congress doesn’t act right away.”
The note calls for “sensible solutions” and “common-sense legislation.” The end goal, according to Sami, is to get “dangerous weapons out of the wrong hands.”
Readers are then taken to a link that encourages them to tell their stories.
Sami also recorded a video about his work to prevent gun violence:
A collection of submitted stories is presented on Obama’s web site, with the tragic details of lives lost to gun crime presented in full; Sami’s story is among the many shown.
From a woman describing the pain resulting from her son’s injuries at Virginia Tech to another story about a young boy who was killed during an armed robbery in Detroit, the stories certainly tug at Americans’ heart strings. Even those who have never personally experienced gun violence have shared their stories.
“I’m an Ohio high school student, and while I don’t believe gun control is the ultimate solution to stopping gun violence, it is certainly our best bet to begin stepping in the right direction,” wrote one individual.
Another added, “I have never directly experienced gun violence on a personal level but hear far too often of people who have been adversely affected by the proliferation of guns in our society.”
See all of the stories here.
(H/T: CNS News)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 567 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 352 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 259 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 242 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 143 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee