Sen. Orrin Hatch: ‘I Don’t Think There’s Any Question’ Obama Wants to Repeal the 2nd Amendment
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said Thursday he doesn’t think there’s “any question” that President Barack Obama would like that repeal the Second Amendment.
Hatch made the comment during an interview with conservative radio host Laura Ingraham, who asked, “Do you think, if he had his druthers, President Obama would repeal the Second Amendment?” according to the Huffington Post.
“I don’t think there’s any question about it. Most liberal Democrats would,” Hatch responded. “I don’t know of any liberal Republicans that would, but most liberal Democrats would. They’ll mouth that they wouldn’t, but look, what are they doing? They want more and more controls.”
Obama has repeatedly professed his “respect” for the Second Amendment in his quest for stricter gun control measures. In unveiling a series of executive actions to combat gun violence last month, he said, “Like most Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. I respect our strong tradition of gun ownership and the rights of hunters and sportsmen.”
Hatch, who survived a Tea Party-backed primary challenge 66 percent to 34 percent before winning re-election last year, has been vocal in his opposition to background checks for gun buyers.
“One reason most conservatives are very concerned about universal background checks is that’s the beginning of the end of government controlling every aspect of our lives,” Hatch said Thursday.
He called gun control proposals from Democrats “really all political” and added: “This president never misses a political advantage.”
Editor’s note: This post has been corrected to show that Sen. Orrin Hatch beat his primary election opponent with 66 percent of the vote.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 581 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 314 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'