The DMV Claims This Veteran’s License Plate Encourages Violence
(TheBlaze/AP) — After a lengthy legal battle, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles is saying an Iraq war veteran’s personalized license plate encourages violence and is vulgar.
Sean Bujno’s plate reads: “ICUHAJI,” which can be read to state: “I See You, Haji.”
A “haji” is a Muslim who has made the hajj, or pilgrimage to Mecca, though some U.S. soldiers use the term indiscriminately overseas. Bujno had the plates for about four years before someone complained, and some Arab-Americans are interpreting the phrase as threatening.
But Andrew Meyer, Bujno’s attorney, claimed: “That couldn’t be further from the truth…He really means it respectfully.”
A circuit court judge ruled last November that the DMV couldn’t deny the Chesapeake man’s license on the basis that it denigrated individuals of a particular nationality, but now the DMV has taken a new approach, saying it encourages violence.
And according to the Virginian-Pilot, the DMV indicated in a letter to Bujno that they’re willing to continue the legal battle over the plates.
Bujno’s attorney responded to the same paper that the DMV is acting unreasonably.
“It never should have taken this long,” he said. “They didn’t like the plate and decided to hold on to it until they found a reason to deny it.”
Here’s more on the story from when the DMV first claimed the plates were inappropriate in 2012, including a survey of what people in a parking lot thought the plates meant:
Uh huuuuuuh. I’d find that a lot easier to believe if not for the license plate that Bjuno requested in 2007: “HAJIKLR.” He was turned down for that one too. (His attorney claims it was actually Bjuno’s dad who requested that plate.)
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 469 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 357 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 267 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 178 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Officials: Suspect lunged at FBI agent with knife
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Judge: Hollister clothing unfriendly to disabled
- Bahrain opposition group snubs crisis talks
- Officials: Man lunged at FBI agent with knife while being questioned about Boston bombings
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team