Exclusive: Beck’s Blunt Response to Invitation From WWE to Appear on ‘Raw’
Glenn Beck has given TheBlaze his response to an invitation from World Wrestling Entertainment to appear on Monday Night Raw live in Dallas next week: “Unfortunately, I am currently booked doing anything else.”
Beck and the WWE have directed comments at each other over the past week after the wrestling organization introduced two Tea Party-inspired characters, “Jack Swagger” and “Zeb Colter.”
The WWE first extended an invitation to Beck through a statement Friday after the radio host criticized the new characters on his show Wednesday for depicting tea partiers as racially insensitive villains, in turn “demonizing the Tea Party.” Beck went on to question the WWE’s motives when portraying the Tea Party this way, noting his belief that most wrestling fans are likely not progressives.
“Maybe that’s the way WWE people view the Tea Party. And maybe they love to hate the Tea Party. But I have to tell you, I expect that from Hollywood, but I don’t expect ‑‑ if I’m getting my entertainment from somebody that I think is on my side ‑‑ and I’m sorry, I just don’t see a bunch of progressives going and buying their tickets to the WWE. Do you?” Beck posited Wednesday.
“I mean, and maybe there are. I tend to notice that the progressives are not as popular in the South unless they’ve moved from the North. So I’m just trying to figure out exactly who they’re trying to appeal here, who they’re appealing to.”
In a video released on the official WWE YouTube page Friday evening, the wrestlers broke character to address Beck and his comments. After first calling out Swagger’s upcoming WrestleMania opponent in a cartoonish minute-and-a-half promo, performers Wayne Keown (Colter) and Jake Hager (Swagger) address Beck directly to clarify that they are not political commentators, rather entertainers.
“We aren’t in the political business, or the immigration business. We are in the entertainment business,” Keown says. He goes on to list the size and demographics of the WWE audience, and the reasoning behind the storylines of characters like Colter and Swagger.
“We have about 60 characters on our show — a lot more than say NCIS or Glee — but we’re not that much different. Some of our characters are really likable and some are detestable — good guys and bad guys,” Keown says. “We don’t use guns, and we don’t depict murder or rape, typically seen on primetime dramas. Our program is PG.”
“Many of your followers are WWE fans and they understand the difference between reality and entertainment,” Keown adds.
“Are you out of touch with your audience Glenn? Or are you just a ‘stupid political commentator?’”
At the end of the video, Keown invites Beck once again to appear on Raw in Dallas Monday, and after Friday’s video, says the radio host can deliver a five-minute, unedited rebuttal to their global television audience and a sold-out crowd.
Watch the video message from Keown/Colter and Hager/Swagger to Glenn Beck below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 602 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 525 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 414 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 351 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 299 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- 16 children, 1 teacher die in Pakistan bus fire
- Indy 500 could be better than 2012's epic race
- Williams sisters entered in doubles at French Open
- Rescuers look for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight
- LA stoplights synchronized but road war endures
- Kuchar finishes Colonial 2nd round still up 1
- Tornado upon them, quick choices decided fate
- Hagel: Cadets must stamp out sex assault scourge