Is Starbucks Gun-Friendly? Advocates Launch ‘Support Starbucks’ Day (Here’s Why)
Gun owners are showing up at Starbucks locations today to express their support for the company’s purportedly pro-gun policies. Second Amendment advocates are lending their appreciation to the coffee spots as part of a new, annual event they’ve launched called “Gun Owners Support Starbucks Day.”
So, until 11 p.m. tonight, supporters will be flocking to their nearest coffee shop to grab a cup of joe in support of their constitutionally-guaranteed right of self-defense. The Washington Post has more about the campaign:
Many people who love guns and coffee particularly appreciate Starbucks. In the 12 states with unfettered rights to “open carry” a gun, including Virginia, and the 16 others that are mostly open carry, Starbucks has rebuffed attempts by gun control activists to keep guns out of the national coffee shop chain. [...]
Starbucks first got drawn into this debate several years ago, and has tried to stay steadfastly neutral. Spokesman Zack Hutson told me Thursday that “our longstanding position is to comply with local laws in the communities we serve. We think that’s the right way to ensure a safe environment for our partners,” which is both employees and customers.
Alas, we now have “Gun Owners Support Starbucks Day.” Ed Levine, founder of the group Virginia Open Carry, told WNEW-TV about how the initiative came to fruition. Some individuals who oppose guns apparently tried to have him thrown out of Starbucks one day for carrying a firearm.
When these people decided they’d launch a boycott of the company for refusing to make gun carriers like Levine leave, the advocate said he was motivated to take action in support of the coffee chain.
So, he’s encouraging gun rights enthusiasts to observe the “holiday” by spending $2 at Starbucks today. A Facebook event page setup to advertise today’s festivities reads, “Spend $2 at Starbucks to support a company that supports YOUR human rights, especially the most important right of all, self-defense and the 2nd Amendment.”
“I’ve got a pocket full of $2 bills that signify the Second Amendment,” he said while at one of the Virginia-area coffee shops. “We tip them and we show them we support them, supporting us.”
Here’s a description of ”Gun Owners Support Starbucks Day,” as posted on the group’s official Facebook page:
In February of 2012, Some anti-gun groups decided they would boycott Starbucks since Starbucks remained neutral on the “gun issue”. Starbucks follows the laws of the state the stores are in. Ed Levine, founder of Virginia Open Carry decided to hold a counter event on 2/14/2011 that went viral and hundreds of thousands of gun owners nationwide supported Starbucks.. and even paid in $2.00 bills to signify support for the Second Amendment. Starting in 2013, gun owners will make 2/22/XXXX their “Support Starbucks” day.
It’s no coincidence that Feb. 22 (2/22) was chosen. Each of the 2s stands for one of the three rights the Founders enshrined into the constitution. Here’s how the group describes these rights:
2 = defense of ourselves.
2 = defense of our families and communities.
2 = defense of our great country.
A separate fan page has been setup to advertise the event for next year and beyond, as those organizing it are planning to make it an annual happening.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 577 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 305 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 263 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 147 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81