What Are the Best and Worst States for Second Amendment Fans?
Do you live in a state that still holds high regard for the Second Amendment?
The map seen above comes from the Brady Campaign, a group pushing for more stringent gun laws. Based on Brady’s scoring system, red states have the most relaxed laws when it comes to gun ownership. Green states are those with the toughest limitations for anyone hoping to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed gun rights.
The Brady group scores states on a variety of topics - things like state license requirements and background checks on all purchases. No state scores a perfect 100 with Brady, but California gets an 81, and that is before any new laws that will get put in place following the Sandy Hook massacre.
At the top of Brady’s “best” (the most restrictive) states are:
- New York
- New Jersey
Leading the “worst” list (according to Brady) are three states that might be considered the “best” states for gun owners. All three scored a ZERO on the Brady checklist. Getting a zero is probably like scoring 100 in the eyes of a firearms fan. Meet the “zeros”:
Rounding out the rest of the top 10 best states for gun ownership (based on Brady) appear to be:
- North Dakota
If you are a gun owner, it is likely that you already know the laws in your state because you had to jump through whatever hoops required in order to secure a firearm. But what do you know about gun laws in the rest of the country?
- If you have to move to another state, will you be able to bring your guns with you?
- What about traveling with a gun? Can you drive across country with a weapon? (Air and train travel have specific limitations.)
- If you have a concealed carry permit in one state, is it recognized in other states?
Considering concealed carry rights, unlike a drivers license, not every state respects or acknowledges the concealed carry permits from other states. If you are planning on moving or traveling to another state, and you want to bring your weapon(s) with you, it is wise to constantly look into the laws of the place you are going. At least one website is attempting to stay abreast of the changes in the laws.
The map below is all about “concealed carry” rights. The light blue colored states “shall issue” permits, the khaki-colored states are those that “may issue” ccw permits, the yellow states require that you be a resident of the state in order to get a carry permit. And the red states (there’s only one state – Illinois and the District of Columbia) are places where citizens cannot even apply for a carry permit.
(We do realize that the Illinois ban was overturned in December of 2012, and the state has 180 days to come up with a new plan. An appeal is expected soon.)
There’s even an iPhone and Android app called “legal heat” that you can download on your phone to carry every state’s concealed carry laws with you.
As changes to gun laws in states are constantly evolving, we recommend that you always keep up with the laws in your state and community.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 314 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 229 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 171 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 118 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 138 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Trial for captain in deadly shipwreck in Italy
- Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
- FEMA Chief: Feds won't go 'when the cameras leave'
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Futures rise; all eyes on the Fed
- Parents face tough choice when tornadoes bear down