‘I Couldn’t Believe It’: Shock After Students Appear to Don KKK-Style Hoods at ND Hockey Game
(TheBlaze/AP) — A North Dakota high school principal says appropriate action is being taken after three students briefly donned Ku Klux Klan-style white robes and hoods Friday night during a state hockey semifinal game.
The photo caused an uproar on Twitter when it was posted by 19-year-old Shane Schuster, who was seated with some friends at Ralph Engelstad Arena when something in the student section across the rink caught his eye.
“I thought, `Are those KKK hoods?’ I couldn’t believe it,” Schuster said. “I was shocked.”
Schuster said he focused his camera phone and snapped a photo, later uploading it to Twitter. By late afternoon, it had more than 75 retweets, with many users expressing outrage and some wondering whether the picture was Photoshopped.
But Kristopher Arason, Red River’s principal, said the school’s investigation determined that the students put on the attire just after Red River’s first goal and wore it for about 30 seconds to a minute. The teens removed the outfits after students in the section told them it was offensive, he said.
“We, as a school, are extremely disappointed with the behavior of these three students,” Arason said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Saturday. “This behavior is not a representation of our school or student body.”
He did not indicate what disciplinary action the three unidentified students could face.
The students were all dressed in white as part of a “white out” theme to support the team, according to reports, an idea popularized more than 25 years ago by the Winnipeg Jets. In the intervening years, though, the practice has spread to the college and high school levels.
The Associated Press notes that Davies High School is named in honor of Ronald Davies, the former federal judge from Fargo whose 1957 rulings integrated Central High School in Little Rock, Ark. – a pivotal event in the civil rights movement.
The judge’s son commented for the Grand Forks Herald: “I’m not familiar with the white out actions and they cause me no concern…The hooded portion is something the school administration should talk to the students about. They may not have attached any significance to their attire but, if they did, and it was racially motivated, then the school ought to take appropriate action, whatever that is.”
- ‘White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations
- School Tells Mom to Declare Son ‘Racist’ After He Asks Classmate ‘Are You Brown Because You Come From Africa?’
- ‘Pure Racism’: O’Reilly Fires Back at Fox Sports Columnist for Implying ‘I Am Some Kind of Slave Overlord’
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 475 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 385 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 321 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 195 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 108 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All Is Lost'
- Maine man appears in court in missing teen's death
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion