Christian Teen Forced by School Officials to Change ‘Inappropriate’ Pro-Abstinence T-Shirt
Earlier this month, Summer Schreiner, a 15-year-old student at Clearlake Middle School in Cocoa, Fla., was told to change her pro-abstinence t-shirt after officials deemed it “inappropriate.” The teen acquired the shirt, which read, ”Don’t drink and park… accidents cause kids,” at a Christian conference she recently attended. But the message was apparently too offensive for education officials — so they took action.
“I got through lunch, and on my way back, the assistant principal tells me I need to go to the office and change my shirt,” she told WOFL-TV. ”I was pretty upset. I thought it was silly. It’s not like I was wearing a curse word or something that was promoting violence.”
Schreiner got the shirt at “The Silver Ring Thing,” an abstinence conference that is held in cities across the nation. During the event, teens pledge to wait until they’re married to have sex. In exchange for this promise, they get a silver ring.
WOFL-TV has more:
According to the young girl’s mother, Angela, the most humiliating part of the experience came when her daughter was asked to change into a shirt the school designates for students who do not have appropriate attire. The message on the new t-shirt read, “Tomorrow I will dress for success.”
The family found this particularly humiliating, because they believe Schreiner made a positive life choice at “The Silver Ring Thing” and that the t-shirt she originally wore simply reaffirmed that. In the words of her mother: ”It was really humiliating for her, because she came dressed for success.”
The school district has doubled-down on its decision to force the young girl to change her shirt, citing a dress code policy that disallows any clothing “which contains sexually explicit or oriented wording.” There is also a restriction on any dress that “infringes on the rights of others.”
The family disagrees that the shirt violates these standards, citing textbooks that educate students with similar messages as what was found on Schreiner’s shirt. District officials, though, remain unmoved by these arguments.
“This is not a situation of whether or not the district agrees or disagrees with sexual abstinence among teenagers,” explained Michele Irwin, director of communications for the district. “It’s about the fact there is sexual innuendo on the shirt, and so we believe it violated our dress code policy.”
What do you think? Let us know in the comments section.
(H/T: Christian Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 960 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 415 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 368 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him Read More
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 159 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Watch Live: Senate Hearing on IRS Targeting of Conservative Groups Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Ft. Hood shooter is still collecting a paycheck
- Israel warns Syria against attacks on Golan
- Toback, Baldwin eye Cannes movie-making underbelly
- Man charged in death of missing Maine teenager
- Germany's SAP to recruit tech staff with autism
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says she doesn't know how many people are missing following tornado
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One, next-generation gaming
- Poll: Teens migrating to Twitter
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says 'we will rebuild' after tornado leaves at least 24 dead