St. Louis Pastor Announces His Own Gun Buyback Program…for Children’s Toy Weapons
A pastor in St. Louis, Missouri is emulating local Police Chief Sam Dotson in implementing a gun buyback program in his community. The only catch? It’s not for actual guns, but for toy weapons children have accumulated.
Pastor Rodney Francis of the Washington Tabernacle Baptist Church says children and their parents will be able to bring fake guns, swords, and other violent toys to the church this summer, where they can trade them for something more “wholesome.”
“My wife and I feel that we need to do everything we can to not allow our kids to get exposed to this too early. They’re going to get exposed to it, but we can protect them early on so they don’t get a distorted view of what those can do to the human body,” he explained to local CBS affiliate KMOX.
“We want to engage the culture of violence and one of the strategies that we thought we might be able to use is to educate parents about the danger of allowing kids to continue this access to toy guns and playing with toy guns.”
While people on both sides of the political spectrum agree that it’s best to limit the amount of violent movies and video games children are exposed to, the program is likely to ruffle some feathers for conflating guns and gun violence. It seems to teach children that guns are only for violent criminals, and should be turned over to the proper authorities.
The move follows a slew of disciplinary measures across the country against children who referenced toys guns at school, made gun signs with their hands, or threw an imaginary grenade at pretend “evil forces” during recess.
Front page image courtesy of Shutterstock.
- 5-Year-Old Suspended, Labeled a ‘Terrorist Threat’ for Threatening to Shoot Friend With Toy Bubble Gun
- Second Grader Playing ‘Rescue the World’ at Recess Suspended After Throwing Pretend Grenade at ‘Evil Forces’ (With Adorable Interview!)
- School Allegedly Asks Deaf Preschooler to Change His Name Because Sign Language Version Resembles ‘Weapons’
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,015 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 452 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 419 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 306 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 221 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 193 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 116 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge
- Pentagon wants $450M for Guantanamo prison
- The new consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Leahy steps back on gay marriage issue
- Toronto mayor avoids questions about crack video
- Indians' Perez deletes Twitter account