‘Who Cares Whose Stupid Idea This Was?’: Megyn Kelly Panel Clashes Over Woodward Vs. White House Sequester Controversy
Bob Woodward, one of the most lauded journalists alive today, created a firestorm in the media after eviscerating President Obama’s handling of the sequester both in his new book and in a Washington Post article.
Specifically, Woodward targets the administration’s repeated claims that the sequester is happening because of the Republicans when in fact, he writes, “the automatic spending cuts were initiated by the White House and were the brainchild of [former White House chief of staff Jack Lew] and White House congressional relations chief Rob Nabors…Obama personally approved of the plan…”
But the administration has continued issuing dire warnings of what will happen if the sequestration goes through, and White House Press Secretary Jay Carney has called Woodward “willfully wrong” in his reporting.
A Fox News panel on Megyn Kelly’s show “America Live” discussed the controversy Monday, seeming to conclude that such insider squabbles turn average Americans away from politics, though it is of the utmost importance to determine whether the president is intentionally misleading the country.
After Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky said the whole mess makes her happy she no longer lives in D.C., she stated: “My point is actually the larger point, which is, who cares whose stupid idea this was? …I don’t even care if it is the president’s fault.”
But Breitbart editor-at-large Ben Shapiro noted that “the White House does this on a regular basis” and doesn’t have the right to portray the sequester as a Republican-contrived “end of 2012 the movie” scenario if it was in fact their idea.
“We’re at the point now where we don’t really expect Washington to tell us the truth,” Kelly concluded with only mild surprise. “It’s not that big a shock.”
Shapiro concluded with a note on how the issue is representative of the larger relationship between the administration and the media: “This is the White House that is vindictive. They treat the media as though they are the abusive father, and the children who are being abused are the media. If they’re good, abusive father treats them well today. If they’re bad, out to the outhouse they go.”
Watch the entire clip via Mediaite, below:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 472 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 425 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 106 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested