Dismembered NYC Woman’s Son Allegedly Arrested, Electric Saw Reportedly Found in Family Apartment
NEW YORK (TheBlaze/AP) — As TheBlaze reported this morning, a man out walking his dog early Tuesday morning made a gruesome discovery: The dismembered remains of a woman in garbage bags, police said.
Hours later, a suspect was in custody, and police said he had made statements implicating himself in the killing. His name wasn’t immediately released, but WABC-TV reports that sources say the victim’s 22-year-old son is detained and that a power saw was found inside the family’s home.
Police believe the victim was 45-year-old Tanya Byrd, a home health aide who was last seen Monday. Her remains were stuffed in four bags and scattered along four blocks, police said. The medical examiner’s office was working to make a formal identification and determine a cause of death.
WCBS-TV provides additional details:
Bashid McClean, Byrd’s son, is under arrest and is being questioned in connection with the death of his mother, sources said. He has not been charged as yet, sources said.
“We have a young man, a 23-year-old man, in custody now who has made statements implicating himself in this homicide,” NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne told WCBS 880.
The first bag was discovered in the Melrose neighborhood of the Bronx at about 5 a.m., when the dog started sniffing at some trash. Among the pile of trash was a duffel bag containing a plastic bag with a bloodied leg inside.
When police arrived, they found three other bags with remains on surrounding blocks. One contained a leg and an arm. In another, a portion of a torso with shoulders. In the third, a head.
Mario Font, a building superintendent, said he saw police open the bag near the pile in front of his building, and the trash bag inside it held a leg. He said he believed it was the right leg, judging from the toes.
Font was disturbed by the scene in a neighborhood he said has improved in recent years. “To chop a person in pieces, it’s a horrific crime,” he said.
Police cordoned off at least four separate locations on the streets surrounding the initial discovery. There were uncollected trash and recycling piles throughout the area, and white sheets covered items near the piles in at least two spots.
Witnesses said the sheets were placed shortly before children and parents started walking through the neighborhood to reach a public elementary school.
Police interviewed witnesses and also were talking to the victim’s son. Some witnesses told police an SUV dropped the bags off sometime during the night.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 315 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 261 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 145 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 138 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet