8 Crazy Excuses Students Have Given for Not Turning in Homework — and They’re Allegedly True!
“The dog ate my homework” might be one of the most popular cliche excuses for why a student isn’t turning in his or her assignment. But real word examples from teachers show far crazier excuses, as evidenced in a new “Ask Reddit.”
On Tuesday someone posed this question on the social news website: Teachers of Reddit, what is the worst excuse you’ve heard from someone not doing their homework which turned out to be true?
We’ve pulled out a few of the top comments for your enjoyment:
- ramakitty: That their homework had been confiscated by Colonel Gadaffi’s police. Turns out the kid’s father worked for a Libyan bank, and the homework was about aerosols. Kid had gone to visit him during the summer break, and it was taken by the border guards.
- heyheyhedgehog: Back in the day, my mom had a blind guy come to hand in his final paper, 30 pages tucked in a manila folder. “Sorry it’s the last day, just finished it last night! By the way sometimes my typing is a little messy, you know, hard to line up the paper… How’s it look, can you read it?” She opens the folder and there’s 30 pages of neatly typed, almost invisible, uninked typewriter indentations. “Uhh… Yep, looks okay!” She didn’t have the heart to say there was nothing there, so she gave him an A, and never did decide if that [person] was real unlucky, or real smart.
- chryllis: My house caught on fire a couple weeks ago and we had to go through all of this crap and so I asked my teacher for an extension on a paper. She said that my house burning down was the second best excuse she had ever heard. I asked her what the best one was: Dude crashed his hot air balloon and broke his back. Yea I’ll take second place to that.
- bloglib: Got an email from a student saying he was getting his arm amputated. Thats all it said, nothing else.
- yetanotherreddit: Several years ago I had a student show up to class claiming that the homework assignment had disappeared from the paper I had given him. He gave me the piece of paper and I could see a sprinkling of toner from the copy machine and in holding it up to the light could barely make an imprint on the page. Then I remembered that in copying the assignments to hand out one page had gotten stuck in the machine before it had gone through the fuser. I pulled it out and stuck it in the stack. However, he was correct. The words had literally fallen off the paper.
- maleficuslues: My friend received a note from a parent that said the child did not do his homework packet because the parent felt watching the sunset was more beneficial.
- Bamboozzer: In an email Dear Mr. Bamboozer, I will not be able to make it to class this morning the horses got out. ……that’s when I knew what teaching in Kansas meant.
- fuzzy510: I had a major assignment that was due promptly at the start of my first-period history class in high school. I had accidentally slept in that morning, so I was running late. Despite my best efforts, I get there about five minutes late. My teacher asks me why I’m late. I’m already panicking, thinking I’m going to lose major points on this paper, and for some reason telling him I slept in doesn’t sound good to me. So, in a rush the only thing I can offer up is: ”Uh……because I’m fat, slow and lazy, sir.” He stands befuddled for a few seconds, then accepts my paper with no late penalty.
To you believe them all? Read more of the excuses here or share your own in the comments section below.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 363 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 130 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 104 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- Appellate court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball