Local News Reports Mich. Gov. To Announce ‘State Takeover’ of Detroit — But Story Changes Soon After Posting
Republican Gov. Rick Snyder will reportedly appoint an Emergency Financial Manager (EFM) to takeover Detroit’s finances on Friday, according to a breaking report from ABC affiliate WXYZ:
— WXYZ Detroit (@wxyzdetroit) February 28, 2013
“[Detroit Mayor Dave] Bing says the governor told him his decision during a phone conversation this morning,” the station reports. “Bing was talking with reporters following a speech before the Detroit Regional Chamber at the MotorCity Casino.”
Detroit has 10 days to appeal the decision to Gov. Snyder.
The governor said last week that he had yet to decide what to do with the troubled city, adding that he’d either appoint an EFM or enter into a new consent agreement with the city.
A state-appointed financial review team found earlier this year that the city’s fiscal woes have indeed reached crisis point. They recommended Gov. Snyder appoint an EFM.
“Detroit has been operating under a consent agreement with the state since last year. That consent agreement prevented the city from being taken over by an emergency manager, who would have been appointed under a state law that was in place at that time,” the report adds.
“Voters overturned that law in November 2012 and the state reverted to an older law that allowed for the appointment of an emergency financial manager,” the report adds.
UPDATE: Soon after WXYZ reported on the governor’s supposed announcement, the story disappeared entirely from its website:
UPDATE II: It appears the report momentarily disappeared from WXYZ’s website because they were tweaking the language of the story a little.
The way things look now, a EFM seems extremely likely, but it’s not a sure thing. This is how the ABC affiliate’s headline reads as of 3:05 p.m. ET: “Governor to announce EFM decision tomorrow; State takeover of Detroit possible.”
“[T]he governor will announce his decision regarding the possible appointment of an Emergency Financial Manager for the city of Detroit on Friday,” reads the updated report.
“Everybody’s got a pretty good idea of what the announcement is going to be,” said Mayor Bing.
The mayor was asked if he thought the governor would appoint an EFM. He answered, “Not immediately.”
We’ll see what happens tomorrow.
- Report: 47 Percent of Detroit Property Owners Pay No Taxes
- How Desperate Is Detroit? Historic Cemetery Targeted by Scroungers
- The Breathtaking Then-and-Now Photos of an Abandoned Detroit High School
- Detroit Councilwoman’s Actual Rant: We Voted for You, Obama, Now Give Us Some of That Gov’t ‘Bacon’
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image Getty Images. This story has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 463 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 460 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 111 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 206 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 141 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested