Turkish PM Erdogan: Islamophobia a ‘Crime Against Humanity’ Along With Zionism and Fascism
With a string of pro-Islam, anti-Israel and anti-Western stances to his credit, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan is fast-making his mark as anything but the moderate leader of a country that once sought to emulate countries like Germany, rather than theocracies like Iran.
His latest controversial remarks came while speaking at the Fifth Alliance of Civilizations Forum in Vienna’s Hofburg Palace this week when he stated that Islamophobia must be regarded as a crime against humanity” in the vein of anti-Semitism and fascism. What’s more, the prime minister included Zionism as being akin to fascism and alas, yet another crime against humanity.
“Just like Zionism, anti-Semitism and fascism, it becomes unavoidable that Islamophobia must be regarded as a crime against humanity,” Erdoğan said, before he condemned political leaders who he claimed defame religion.
“Certain politicians’ defamation of a religion or a sect by mass communication tools only makes pre-conceived notions bigger and deepens the gap.”
“We are facing a world in which racist attacks have gained momentum, terrorism has claimed more lives, and religions and sects treat each other with less understanding,” Erdoğan said.
“In a similar fashion, I must state that rising racism in Europe is a serious problem for the Alliance of Civilizations Project…Aside from countries indifferent to Muslim countries, disrespectful attitudes toward Muslims living in certain countries continue to hurt consciences.”
Erdogan also spoke of the bloodshed in Mali, claiming religion has nothing to do with the carnage. He said it would be a “mistake to “evaluate the current developments in Mali as if they were based on religion.”
“Members of different religions in Mali are not fighting against each other. There could be acts of terrorism in Mali but to define such violence as part of a religion would not be correct since no monotheistic religion encourages terrorism. Islam means ‘peace.’ We can never accept arguments that a religion of peace, Islam, encourages or approves terrorism.”
The Turkish prime minster also said that his country’s EU membership would be a significant step for the success of the Alliance of Civilizations.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 461 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 454 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 184 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 123 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss