Dem. State Rep. Stripped of Title After Telling Teen Girl During Hearing, ‘I Got a Snake Sitting Under My Desk Here’
A longtime Connecticut state representative was stripped of his deputy speaker position this week after he made a lewd comment to a teenage girl during a budget hearing.
The 17-year-old was speaking about how a program at the Connecticut Science Center had helped her overcome her fear of snakes, the Connecticut Post reported.
“I am usually a very shy person, and now I am more outgoing. I was able to teach those children about certain things like snakes that we have and the turtles that we have… ,” she said. “I want to do something toward that, working with children when I get older.”
“If you’re bashful I got a snake sitting under my desk here,” Rep. Ernest Hewett (D) replied after her remarks, according to audio of the Feb. 21 incident.
Connecticut House Speaker and fellow Democrat Brendan Sharkey on Wednesday stripped Hewett of his deputy speaker title and its accompanying $6,446 extra pay, according to the Post.
“It’s hard for anyone who heard the audio or was there to think it was anything other than a sexual innuendo,” Sharkey told the newspaper. “I guess the best word I can use to describe this is disturbing.”
Hewett, a former mayor of New London, Conn. now in his fifth term in the state House, said he wants to apologize to the teenage girl, whose name he doesn’t know.
“I take full responsibility for my actions. In hindsight, I can really see how this can be misconstrued as something sexual,” Hewett said.
But the chairman of the Connecticut Republican Party dismissed the punishment as “less than a slap on the wrist” and urged Hewett to resign instead.
“Representative Hewett’s offensive remark was a disgrace and an embarrassment. The fact that it was made to a 17 year-old intern visiting the State Capitol to attend a public hearing sends an absolutely atrocious message,” state GOP chairman Jerry Labriola Jr. said in a statement.
He added, “The legislature has at its disposal a number of ways to sanction Representative Hewett, ranging from an official censure to calling on him to resign. I urge Rep. Hewett to save the legislature some valuable time and make the decision to step down himself.”
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 453 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 399 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 320 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 134 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- Spurs take 3-0 lead, beat Grizzlies 104-93 in OT
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame