Hannity Lambastes Dem Congressman Over Past Ties With ‘Radicals’ Like Farrakhan: ‘He Spent Years Spewing Their Hateful Rhetoric’
Following the explosive on-air clash between Fox News host Sean Hannity and Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), it was hard to imagine the situation getting any more fiery. But allegations last night on Hannity’s show continued to link the congressman to some controversial figures — individuals who are seen by some as divisive, dangerous and unpalatable.
During a brief segment last night, Hannity accused the politician of associating (in the past) with the Minister Louis Farrakhan, the leader of the controversial Nation of Islam, and Khalid Muhammed, a deceased Black Militant leader, Politico reports. Additionally, he compared Ellison’s past rhetoric to the extremities regularly uttered by the Ku Klux Klan.
“The reality is, the Congressman not only associated with these radicals — but he spent years spewing their hateful rhetoric,” Hannity charged, referring to the congressman’s time as a law student in the 1980s and 1990s.
“What is the difference, I mean, do we have somebody then in Congress that is the equivalent of one side of what the Klan is?,” he continued. “Because I view the rabid ranting of Khalid Mohammed as frightening in terms of racism, anti-Semitism.”
Watch the brief video, below:
TPM has a longer version, which includes more of Hannity’s commentary. In it, the host can be seen more fervently recapping the congressman’s past connections with and defense of Farrakhan. While Ellison denounced the Nation of Islam in 2006 when Hannity said his past caught up with him, many questions still remain.
See the longer video, below:
Hannity also read a statement on-air from the congressman’s office. Here’s the text of the release, which was later provided to TPM by Ellison’s spokesperson:
“Tomorrow, a set of devastating cuts will hit every American, costing 750,000 jobs over the course of the year if Congress doesn’t act. The seriousness of these cuts was the subject and context of my spirited exchange with Sean Hannity on Tuesday night.
Americans deserve journalists who provide responsible, objective reporting. Instead, Sean Hannity is bringing up my religion and making personal attacks. This is sad. Can we get back to what’s best for the American people now?”
So, there you have it. There’s clearly little love between Hannity and Ellison. But the congressman’s background, regardless of how long ago his controversial associations were formed and later rejected, is sure to create emotions ranging from intrigue to caution.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 164 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 113 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 135 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony