Pro-Faith Hollywood Power Couple Discuss Upcoming Mini-Series ‘The Bible’ on TheBlaze TV
In the wake of a conversation-spurring opinion column in the Wall Street Journal titled, “Why Public Schools Should Teach the Bible,” famed producer Mark Burnett (“The Voice” and “Survivor”) and his wife, actress Roma Downey (“Touched by an Angel”) have been making the case that America’s children should be taught the Bible in classrooms across America.
Referring to the Bible as “the most read, most influential book of all time,” Downey and Burnett underscored the value the scriptures have had on Western society and its value-system.
To delve into the matter on a deeper level and discuss the Sunday release of their next project, a drama-series dubbed “The Bible,” Glenn Beck invited Downey and Burnett on his Friday evening broadcast to discuss how faith is perceived in today’s social landscape.
As society currently rewards reality television, violent YouTube videos and tends to portray people of faith as “cheesy” or “corny,” Beck pointed to the Emmy Award-winning actress, most famous for having starred in the the popular series “Touched by an Angel,” to showcase the best sides of faith and faith-centered entertainment.
Downey, who has produced and starred in a myriad movies and television productions including “Monday After the Miracle” and “Borrowed Hearts,” and was honored as People Magazine’s “100 Most Beautiful People,” shared what faith means to her in an increasingly-secular world.
The Irish-born actress is a national spokesperson for Operation Smile, an organization that has already provided corrective surgeries to over 200,000 children worldwide born with severe cleft palettes and similar conditions. She has also authored two children’s books and recorded an inspirational album of spoken word titled “Healing Angel.”
Burnett, meanwhile, may best be known for producing the popular television program “Survivor” and for creating “Celebrity Apprentice,” but is also extremely proud of their 10-hour History Channel mini-series on the Bible which premiers this Sunday, March 3.
According to TheBlaze’s Billy Hallowell, who attended the screening of The Bible, the Nativity scene was “one of the most powerful scenes” as the sights and sounds “provide heartfelt context to the events and emotions surrounding Jesus’ birth.”
“As rain pours down incessantly, Joseph can be seen frantically seeking help, as he is accompanying his fiance, Mary (played by Downey), who is in labor,” Hallowell writes.
“Keeping with Biblical tradition, Mary and Joseph inevitably find a place for her to give birth, despite the fact that ‘there was no room for them in the inn’ (Luke 2:7).”
The duo are also slated to tackle a remake of Cecile B. Demile’s famed “10 Commandments.”
Later on the broadcast historian David Barton hosted pastor Tom Mullins of the Christ Fellowship and Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference and a senior advisor on “The Bible” mini-series to discuss faith in America and, more pointedly, within the entertainment industry.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 382 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Jury in Arias case gives up after no consensus
- Syrian state media: Rebels attack prison in north
- I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
- No guarantee of peace, NKorean envoy warns China
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Syrian govt to take part in peace conference