Meet Obama’s ‘Pastor-in-Chief’ — The Man Who Sends the President Daily Scripture (Plus: Key Details About Obama’s Faith)
President Barack Obama has certainly encountered his fair share of spats and debate with the more conservative cohort of America’s faith community. But despite these clashes, the leader of the free world says he’s a practicing Christian who believes that faith is immensely important in his daily life.
He reportedly reads scripture each morning, reflecting upon it and applying Biblical teachings to his personal and professional actions. Consider Obama’s friend and former employee Joshua DuBois and his daily communications with the president.
A so-called “pastor-in-chief,” DuBois headed the White House Office of Faith Based and Neighborhood Partnership and has consulted the president on matters of faith since his days in the Illinois Senate.
The adviser spoke with CBN News last week, explaining Obama’s daily devotions and the intricate nature of the president’s Christian faith — one that has come under a fair bit of scrutiny during his time in the White House. Despite recently leaving his administration position, DuBois still sends daily inspiration to Obama.
DuBois may surprise some presidential critics in telling CBN’s Beltway Buzz that the ”biggest untold story is that [Obama] is a president of deep and abiding faith who values his walk with Christ and uses that walk to motivate the work that he does in the world.” Each morning, Dubois sends along scripture and reflective verses that are often tailored to the political season in an effort to sustain Obama’s faith.
When asked what goes into the process of coming up with viable messages to send, DuBois heralded scripture as a powerful inspirational source.
“Well, fortunately the word of God never goes out and returns void and so there’s just this tremendous power in scripture to inspire every morning and so I will pick a verse or two and sometimes add an interpretation of that verse, some times a quote or passage from C.S. Lewis or…or someone else who tends to inspire,” he explained.
DuBois also praised Obama, saying that he’s grateful to have served a leader who begins each day with Biblical truths.
“I’m also just, quite frankly, grateful for a president who begins his day every morning with scripture,” he told CBN. “I think that says a lot about Barack Obama as a leader, but also as a man.”
Watch DuBois discuss the president’s daily devotionals below:
DuBois left the White House in February to author a devotional book and to purportedly launch a new organization focused upon helping build faith-based coalitions between the private and public sector. He will also be teaching at New York University.
(H/T: CBN News)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 607 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 531 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 421 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 316 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 157 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- AP Sources: Coyotes sale approved, hurdle remains
- UK police question alleged soldier killer's friend
- Egypt court rules against religious slogans
- Automaker Tesla takes fight to North Carolina
- Hezbollah chief says group is fighting in Syria
- Protesters to march vs Monsanto in 250 cities
- Thousands walk, run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Hezbollah leader says his group will not stand idle while its ally Syria is under attack