Does This Church Really Look Like a Chicken? (There’s an Actual Debate About It)
The idea that a church building could resemble a chicken seems both bizarre and impossible — that is until you see pictures of the Church by the Sea in Madeira Beach, Fla.
The house of worship has been making international headlines over the past week after a photographer noticed some structural attributes that supposedly make it look exactly like a rooster.
From just the right angle, supporters of this notion argue that the rounded windows at the top of the church’s tower look like eyes and that the tiles that comprise a portion of its roof resemble a beak and wings, The Huffington post reports.
Now, hundreds of tourists are reportedly showing up to take pictures of the building. At least one member of the Church by the Sea is happy about the newfound attention the church is receiving. In fact, parishioner Dee Dee Parker told the Daily Mail that she finds it comical.
“It’s so funny – we were completely unaware that it had become a hit on the Internet,” she said. “We had no idea, but I’m glad we can make people smile.”
Watch a video compilation of images of the Church by the Sea, below:
And while the Daily Mail also notes that “the church’s committee” (presumably referring to staff members and leaders) find the comparison comical, HuffPost Weird News found one alleged staffer who doesn’t like the chicken-based notoriety.
“We’re not fond of it being called the ‘Chicken Church,’” the employee said. “It’s attracting people to us for all the wrong reasons. I don’t think they’re attracted to come in and worship, I think they’re making fun of it.”
So, it seems there’s some division on the matter.
Regardless of whether it looks like a chicken, the building’s design does have some practical uses that fall outside of the theological realm. A lighted cross tops the building and the church is used by sea workers to help them navigate the waters. It’s “wings” are representative of East and West, with its purported “beak” and tail symbolizing North and South, the Daily Mail notes.
What do you think? Does the church look like a chicken? Take the poll, below:
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 440 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 421 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 396 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 158 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 241 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 260 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Emails show AEG lawyer called Jackson a 'freak'
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Talk of lies, pride as Trump case goes to jury
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes