Man Accidentally Shoots Off Finger While Cleaning His Gun — and Guess Where It Landed
On Sunday evening, Steven Johnson, a Des Moines, Iowa, resident, lost his finger during a freak gun accident. After cleaning his firearm, he pulled the trigger and accidentally shot off the top of his left index finger.
The 22-year-old apparently inserted a magazine into the gun and racked the slide, the Associated Press reports. But he didn’t realize that the gun was loaded, so when he pulled the trigger in an effort to see if it was in working order, a shot unexpectedly fired.
The bullet sent a piece of his finger flying across the room. But that’s not all. The police report details an even creepier portion of the story: the severed tip hit his mother.
The report dryly reads, “The tip of his finger flew off and hit his mother.”
Later, she drove her son to the hospital, where the two were purportedly questioned by authorities about what unfolded.
According to authorities, Johnson’s story checked out, however they were unable to recover the blown-off flesh.
The gun at the center of the incident is reportedly a Tarus .380.
The lesson? There’s a reason that one of the fundamental firearm safety rules is to treat every gun as if it were loaded.
(H/T: WCCO-TV via AP)
More Stories You Won’t Want to Miss:
- 10 Surprising Celebrity Endorsements for ‘The Bible’ — The Epic TV Series Premiering Tonight
- Meet Obama’s ‘Pastor-in-Chief’ — The Man Who Sends the President Daily Scripture (Plus: Key Details About Obama’s Faith)
- Little Kid’s Wild Dance Moves Steal the Show at Rascal Flatts Concert
- Sheriff Debunks Gun Magazine ‘Fallacies’ in This Viral Vid (Plus: His Response to Biden’s Shotgun Advice)
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 820 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 261 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 160 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 175 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Oil price rises to near $97 per barrel
- Marquis wins 5th straight, Padres beat Cards 4-2
- Asia stocks fall ahead of Fed statements
- Giants' Vogelsong wins at last but injures hand
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- Giants RHP Vogelsong breaks right hand on foul
- FBI: Agents fell to deaths training off Va. coast
- China's Xi will meet Obama earlier than expected